Having had a previous positive experience using Viator, I booked the day tour of Antiqua and could not have been more pleased. Our guide, Mirko, was fabulous. The tour provided an invaluable orientation to the history and sites of this amazing city.
Doing what: Antigua City Sightseeing Tour
The itinerary is well designed. Every place is worth visiting. All the drivers and guilds always showed up on time. We didn't feel unsafe at all throughout the trip. Camino Real Antigua and Hotel Atitlan are very good accommodation choices. But there are some problems with their trip quality assurance:
1) Our guide didn't take us to Santo Domingo Monastery in Antigua. We spent more time in Azotea Coffee Farm watching video.
2) Our guide didn't take us to Santiago de Atitlan. He took us to Santa Catarina and Santa Antonio.
3) Our guide didn't take to Iximché.
4) Our local guide at Tikal explained a lot about other acropolis, temples...but didn't explain anything at the most seen Grand Plaza.
5) Hotel Peten Esplendido was not as nice as other accommodations.
6) Not agency's issue...it's a nice hike onto the top of Pacaya Volcano, but we didn't get to see any lava flowing.
And I want to say our local guide at Yaxha did a great job. Too bad I forgot his name.
This tour was a big disappointment. I have seen the ruins of Mexico including the Sun and Moon pyramids, Palenque, Uxma and Chitza-Itza. Those ruins are fairly well preserved and restored, many with some of the original colorings and reliefs intact. Tikal was ok, but had none of the original colors and reliefs. Our guide there spoke great English but he didn't tell us anything about the traditions and rituals of the Mayan people who lived there. Yaxha was not interesting and Ixhimche wasn't worth going to at all. The only thing I enjoyed was our hotel in Antigua, its proximity to the market place, the boat ride across the lake and the Pacaya Volcano. Our tour guide that we had for the first 4 days was only 50% intelligible. We had to work very hard to understand him, unfortunately. I have taken many trips and have never felt like I wasted my money until now. It just was not worth the cost.
Very nice trip with stop in local coffee-plantage. Same nice guide as in Copan.
It was a wonderful day. The guide was so sweet :)
It was excellent
Beautiful city, a must see. Coffee plantation is also very interesting and informative.
Doing what: Antigua City Tour from Guatemala City
the ruims were excellent guided and explained ,the antigua city tourhowever went completely in the mist
very pleasant and professional staff,the day was perfect
Loading more reviews