The Town Hall
The town hall’s front facade features Gothic windows and the town weapons of the cities and villages that were under Bruges’ administrative rule. The statues of biblical figures and Counts of Flanders that sit in the niches of the façade are 20th-century replacements for the originals. Those were painted by Jan van Eyck and destroyed by pro-French rebels in the 1790s.
In the entrance hall, a large staircase leads to the ornate Gothic Hall, which was decorated in 1895 with neo-gothic wall murals that illustrate events from Bruges’ history – pick up an audio guide for detailed information. Even more impressive is the hall’s vaulted oak ceiling, which dates from 1402 and is decorated with scenes from the New Testament.
The Town Hall is situated in the Burg, the historic heart and town center of Bruges, and is just a short stroll from the Markt, Bruges’ second town center. The Town hall is open to visitors every day of the week, and a small entry fee applies.