San Isidro Cathedral
Stood on the site of an early 18th century chapel, the cathedral was built in 1895 by French architects Dunant and Paquin, in an elaborate presentation of neo-gothic style and is named for the patron saint of Madrid. The architectural masterpiece features three naves, decorated with a series of exquisite French stained glass windows and images of San Isidro Labrador. Highlights include the 69-meter tall clock tower, an 18th century statue of Santa Maria de la Cabeza and, most notably, a part of the incorrupt body of Saint Isidro, gifted to the church by Spanish King Alfonso XII.
The cathedral’s central location, set on the eponymous Plaza de San Isidro just across from the train station, makes it a key navigational landmark for visitors and the centerpiece of the annual San Isidro Festival, held each year on May 15th.