Lion Square & Morosini Fountain
Morosini Fountain, built in 1628, was commissioned by Francesco Morosini while he was governor of Crete. It is one of the most famous surviving monuments given from the Venetians. In practical terms, the fountain --which spurts water from four lions into eight marble troughs--offered a solution to supplying Heraklion with water at the time, providing 1,000 barrels of water a day. The lion is not connected to water but used a symbol of Venetian power.
The lobes of the fountain are decorated with scenes from Greek mythology carved in relief, mainly mythical water beings such as Tritons (son of mythical God Poseidon), dolphins and nymphs. At the center of each lobe were the coats of arms of the Doge, the Duke, the Councilors and Morosini himself.