A great little trip through a rapidly disappearing countryside. We had a wonderful guide named Farmer Tang and he was great with history, culture and local customs. The food stops were really good and there was plenty of water for the ride. Tang was also very perceptive and saw that us sixty year olds were not as spry on the hills as a twenty some rider. We went on a little easier track but still saw plenty of what we came to see. One suggestion would be to request a gel seat if you have a habit of getting saddle sore!
I would recommend this tour to those who wish to see the Li River landscape between Guilin and Yangshuo, and who want to see Yangshuo in a day.
* Hotel pick up/drop off service was fab
* Li River landscape is unique and picturesque
* Yangshuo was nice to see (markets and laneway bars/cafes a-plenty)
* Extra 2hr tour of Yaoshan Village was worth the 150¥ each (decide and pay cash during cruise) and also gave us extra time to look around Yangshuo markets.
* Fed and sat on a Water Buffalo, watched a Cormorant Fishing display, bamboo raft trip down the river - all great photo ops!
* Facilities and lunch were basic - boat was old and a bit grubby, nowhere to sit whist up on deck, and toilets were a mess within 30mins.
* The cruise is long and after a while a little repetitive, but that is simply the distance between departure and Yangshuo.
* Take a poncho - rain and no protection could ruin your day.
* Participate in the extra tour.
* Beware of sneaky bones and fat in the meat dishes for lunch...very Chinese :P
* Take some snacks with you!
* Our hotel pick-up time wasn't confirmed until 8:55pm the night before our tour when the tour guide rang our hotel room. I was starting to stress out a little, but it would seem this is common.
* Go to the toilet in the first 30mins of cruising - after this the uni-sex toilets (not squat) become a frightful mess.
* Haggle at the Yangshuo markets. If they start at 400¥, go to 80¥ and move slowly upwards. Don't pay more than 50% of their starting price!
* If the lunch on the boat left you hungry - there are HUNDREDS of food outlets (including cafes, bars, McDs and KFC on West Street in Yangshuo)
* Expect a long day. Left hotel in Guilin at 8:15am, and got back at 6:45pm.
It was a great experience!!! We were taken to many nice and non-touristic parts in the countryside of Yangshuo. It's abolutly worth doing it. You can buy the tickets directly on bikeasia.com.
Brilliant time on our tour, excellent guide that we got all to ourselves!
Only point might be to check your bikes before leaving the shop as our gears were pretty dodgy.
Great Trip, helpful staff
The tour itself was pretty much as expected - awesome vistas even if the weather was overcast and misty. The food on board the boat wasn't great but ok. If there was any real negative point it was the communication (or lack of it) we received from the tour operator the evening before the trip. We arrived at our hotel in Guilin at 7pm expecting there to be a message informing us of the pick-up time the next day but no message had been left. At 9pm I started phoning the number we had been given but the line was constantly 'busy'. After trying to get through about 20 times I had to resort to leaving email messages with Viator to try and get some information. Finally, at 11pm, we were contacted by the hotel receptionist to talk to someone from the tour operator and they finally gave us the pick-up time. 11pm was way too late and created way too much stress for us when we were meant to be on holiday! They need to do better than that!
Wow! Guilin is amazing. You must do this tour in Guilin. We were on the boat for about 3 hours. When we first boarded it was raining and we were seated at tables downstairs. We were not too keen on this and ventured upstairs to find it had stopped raining. We stood on the upper deck for the whole three hours and did not once get tired of the magnificent views. From small bamboo rafts latching on to our boat to try and sell fruit to the beautiful mountain scenery, this was like floating in a dream. Yangshuo was full of little market type stalls all selling the same things, so we decided to do the optional tour. We are so glad we did. We went to a village and sat on a water buffalo, got to watch the cormorants dive for fish, hold the bamboo stick the cormorants were on and visit the Shangri La village. We would strongly recommend doing the optional tour which was RMB200 each. Don't know what we would have done waiting in Yangshuo for four hours. On the way back to our hotel our guide told us the Shangri La Hotel we were staying at was a bit far out for the large coach to drive to, so she got off the bus with us in the town and put us in a taxi to our hotel and the company paid for it. We thought this was incredible customer care.
the tour was really interesting and well organized.Pick up was on time and the guide really professional. The only things the tour was bilingual (Chinese and English) and not just English.
Nice n pleasant trip..
The trip is certainly worth doing if you get the weather. Unfortunately, it was raining for the whole trip we made. We still enjoyed it but it would be much more spectacular on a good day. There was one downside. The cruise came with lunch included. However, as soon as we were settled on board, we were asked if we wanted to order a 'special' meal. It was not made clear at all if this was us ordering our included lunch or if this was an extra. It took a while to figure this was an ‘extra’ out as the waitress did not speak English. The included lunch was basic but still good quality.
Excellent guide and driver of support vehicle, able to be flexible with itenenary. Excellent scenery. Guide chose excellent places to eat and meals, plus accommodation. Arranged tickets and transport to the light show in Yangshuo. Better to choose a cooler time of year though.
A good combination of bike ride, hiking and relaxing time surrounded by the most beautiful karst mountains. Highly recommended for the off the beaten track explorers!
I cannot compare it to other parts of the Li River - the landscape was not too amazing and the ride not too adventurous - good for families though! there was promised to have a guide with us to carry the bags on another boat, so that if we needed something (food/drink etc.) he would be behind us all the time and we can ask for our bags - he just disappeared and waited at the end of the track...luckily I had everything I needed with me...others not. So take everything with you! Otherwise good organisation! Nice and friendly people (Driver, she was really nice!)
Doing what: Yangshuo Kayaking Adventure on the Li River
A great day out. It was a bit of a surprise when they told us that we'd have to fork out more cash to partake in the afternoon's activities, but we did and had a great time.
No shopping stops either, outstanding!
Enjoyable tour. Guide informative and helpful.
Loading more reviews