Over crowded and un organised.
Cruise was good. Tour leader very good
I was very impressed with the Li River Tour in Guilin. It was well organised and we had a very good tour guide by the name of Susie.
I like all Viator tours as they ensure pick up from the Hotel and return to the Hotel.
This is now my fourth tour taken with Viator and if I return to China I will always tour with Viator.
In my opinion, this trip was amazing. It was everything I hoped it would be. Initially when I found out I was the only person on the tour I thought it would not meet my expectations, however, Tanxi my tour guide was excellent and the people at Bike Asia were very helpful and accommodating. On top of the incredible bike tour I also took advantage of all the extra side activities. I was never disappointed. I will definitely use this service again.
This was a terrific trip. It can be difficult to get away from city life in China, and these guys are experts at taking you out into the Chinese countryside, to explore a more traditional way of life.
The whole trip was very thoughtfully planned, from which routes we took, to where we stopped and ate, to the hostel we stayed in.
If you're not a regular cyclist, make sure you wear cycling shorts, as the roads can be bumpy. But the guides are brilliant at judging the pace of the group and adjusting things accordingly.
Looking forward to booking another biking trip soon.
The boat trip on the Li River is maybe the best activity in Guilin. If the weather is good, the view is amazing. The boat ride takes all the morning. In the afternoon you will visit Yangshuo. Remember that if you decide not to take part in any of the optional activities, you'll have to stay in Yangshuo for 4 hours. However, this is not a big problem. In Yangshuo you can do some shopping or relax in some pub.
The tour was very very nice and Alan the tour guide was very kind and helpful.. The bamboo raft cruise on the river was amazing
The trip on the river was great, very relaxing. We loved it. It was a good length. We were with another couple who booked locally and had paid half the price we had through Viator. We paid for a guide who didn't do anything/communicate with us. Very overpriced as customer service was not good.
Doing what: Yangshuo Kayaking Adventure on the Li River
We feel like this trip was a very good introduction to China. We got to see some highlights of the cities and experience life in the country.
We appreciate our guide's flexibility when we wanted to change our itinerary (as in ending the bike ride due to traffic, and skipping Reed Flute Cave for hiking.) As a private tour, we had a choice of what we wanted to see and do with the expertise of our guide's, Bin's, knowledge of the area.
The food was delicious. We like that we ate in nice restaurants as well as local places and that we got to go to the local markets and cook a meal in a class. The hotels were comfortable (3 and 4 stars). We enjoyed the quiet scenic private boat rides, both along the Pearl River and the Li River. We liked being away from the touristy areas, so our hike from Dazhai to Ping’An was very special. Waking up in Ping’An was beautiful with mountains all around us.
We especially want to thank our guide, Bin, for taking care of our daughter's other travel arrangements and accommodations. We enjoyed good conversations with Bin.
We wish you many good travels and good health to Bin and the rest of Viator.
It was amazing!
This tour started with an 8-20am pick up in a van, then a transfer to large coach and ended up at the wharf for a 9-30 boat departure. The boat we were on was good - looked like the newest on the river and there is quite a procession.The landscape is stunning. However, this was a trip (unlike other Viator tours) where there were lots of extras. If you want a seat on a higher deck, an extra 100RMB per person. Lunch on board was described to include "fresh catch" - but if you wanted to eat fish you had to pay extra and a lot extra. We bought a whole fish - not really enough for two and it cost 270 RMB - the most expensive fish we ate in China.
You arrive at Yangshuo at about 1-30pm and are given 1 hour and 20 minutes to wander around before meeting the guide, The bus does not return to Guilin until at least 4 hours later and you are asked to sign up for an optional extra tour to a local village and go bamboo rafting at 150 RMB per person. We felt we had to do this as probably 20-30 minutes in the shopping area in West Street in Yangshuo is more than enough, let alone 4 hours. This tour was OK but I would have preferred to have done the 2 hour rafting trip and skipped the time in Yangshou.
You do not leave to return to Guilin until about 5pm so you do not get back until at least 6-40 or 7pm. This is not what it says on Viator website and as we needed to be back by 6-30 we had to pay extra for a car and driver - another 200RMB.
All in all a very expensive day and not like all the other Viator tours we have done.
A great little trip through a rapidly disappearing countryside. We had a wonderful guide named Farmer Tang and he was great with history, culture and local customs. The food stops were really good and there was plenty of water for the ride. Tang was also very perceptive and saw that us sixty year olds were not as spry on the hills as a twenty some rider. We went on a little easier track but still saw plenty of what we came to see. One suggestion would be to request a gel seat if you have a habit of getting saddle sore!
I would recommend this tour to those who wish to see the Li River landscape between Guilin and Yangshuo, and who want to see Yangshuo in a day.
* Hotel pick up/drop off service was fab
* Li River landscape is unique and picturesque
* Yangshuo was nice to see (markets and laneway bars/cafes a-plenty)
* Extra 2hr tour of Yaoshan Village was worth the 150¥ each (decide and pay cash during cruise) and also gave us extra time to look around Yangshuo markets.
* Fed and sat on a Water Buffalo, watched a Cormorant Fishing display, bamboo raft trip down the river - all great photo ops!
* Facilities and lunch were basic - boat was old and a bit grubby, nowhere to sit whist up on deck, and toilets were a mess within 30mins.
* The cruise is long and after a while a little repetitive, but that is simply the distance between departure and Yangshuo.
* Take a poncho - rain and no protection could ruin your day.
* Participate in the extra tour.
* Beware of sneaky bones and fat in the meat dishes for lunch...very Chinese :P
* Take some snacks with you!
* Our hotel pick-up time wasn't confirmed until 8:55pm the night before our tour when the tour guide rang our hotel room. I was starting to stress out a little, but it would seem this is common.
* Go to the toilet in the first 30mins of cruising - after this the uni-sex toilets (not squat) become a frightful mess.
* Haggle at the Yangshuo markets. If they start at 400¥, go to 80¥ and move slowly upwards. Don't pay more than 50% of their starting price!
* If the lunch on the boat left you hungry - there are HUNDREDS of food outlets (including cafes, bars, McDs and KFC on West Street in Yangshuo)
* Expect a long day. Left hotel in Guilin at 8:15am, and got back at 6:45pm.
Brilliant time on our tour, excellent guide that we got all to ourselves!
Only point might be to check your bikes before leaving the shop as our gears were pretty dodgy.
Loading more reviews