One-Pillar Pagoda (Chua Mot Cot)
Legend has it that while Emperor Ly Thai Tong was troubled about being childless, he dreamt that he met the bodhisattva, Quan Am, who, sitting on a lotus flower, offered him a son. Soon after he married a peasant girl who bore him a son, and in gratitude he built the One Pillar Pagoda (or Chua Mot Cot) in the design of a lotus flower on its stem rising from a square pond.
The original temple was destroyed by the French Union in 1954, it was rebuilt on a single concrete pillar of 1.25 meter (4 foot) diameter. The temple itself is made from wood and bears a statue of Quan Am, to whom it is dedicated, inside.
The One-Pillar Pagoda is situated in the park behind Ho Chi Minh Museum.
Half-light at early morning or sunset gives a beautiful and mysterious photographic view of the temple and its reflection across the pond.