The Skalka Sanctuary and St Stanislaw's Church are a Roman Catholic Church and monastery on the banks of the Vistula River in Krakow. The original Romanesque church which stood on this site was the place of one of Poland's crucial historic events - the murder of Stanislav, bishop of Krakow by the king, Boleslav. There are differing reasons why this happened but regardless, the people were not happy and Stanislav was eventually made a saint by Pope Innocent IV in 1253 - he has been called the saint of moral order. He was the first n ative Polish saint and remains patron saint of Poland. His relics are now in Wawel Cathedral.
The current Gothic church which stands on the site dates from the 14th century, with a Baroque update from the mid-18th century. Beginning in the 19th century, the church became a place for burial for well-known artists and writers, including Nobel Prize winning poet Czeslaw Milosz. Each year on May 8th, the Bishop of Krakow carries the bones of St Stanislav from Wawel Cathedral to St Stanislav's church.