I would definitely recommend viator as a tour company. We scheduled 3 tours and each was excellent. The tour guide was knowledgeable and also made each of us feel very special. Our guide also assisted us in negotiations when shopping for the beautiful items that we purchased as mementos of our wonderful visit to Poland
Maybe I misinterpreted the blurb about this tour but it was not what our party of 4 adults expected when we booked it. We expected to be in among the mountains - wrong! We expected to see something along the lines of a ski resort - wrong! We expected the funicular to take us to the top of a mountain to see beautiful views - wrong again.
The best aspect of the tour was the journey from Krakow to Zakopane through the beautiful countryside of lesser Poland. We passed through a village of lovely wooden houses which we were told are scrubbed annually by the ladies of the households in order to keep them looking so light-coloured and charming - a quick photo stop would have been nice.
On arrival in Zakopane we were taken on a tour of the old wooden church and the adjacent cemetery which was very interesting.
After that the tour went decidedly 'downhill'. Zakopane itself is one of the tackiest places I have ever been unfortunate enough to visit. Crowded with tourists of all nationalities, the main street is a veritable nightmare of tacky shops, fast food joints, restaurants, stalls etc We were taken to visit another church on the main street - very nice but where were the mountains?
Having walked through a huge tourist market, up the funicular we went (again bursting at the seams) only to alight in another smaller, but equally as depressing version of Zakopane, but on top of a hill, complete with pretend beach, deckchairs and plastic palm trees! Admittedly, had the weather been good we would have got a great view of the Tatra Mountains from afar, but sadly for us there was a fair amount of low cloud which obscured the views.
We were there in July - possibly it could be better at other times of the year but I wouldn't care to find out.
In conclusion I have to say that all the Viator Tours we have booked up until then have been great - this one, in our opinion, wasn't.
I would not recomment this tour to anyone.
1) Took us 3 1/2 hrs drive from Zakopane due to the huge amount of traffic from Krakow as there is only one road available. Not under the control of the company but if the rest had been worth it, it would have been worth the while
2) Too touristy as a place (in summer). Too many people, too crowdy. Looked more like El Fna in Marrakech, Morocco than Poland. I literally hated the place. Spent most of the time in a subway because I couldn't take it
3) The tour guide (Anna if I'm not mistaken) was really nice and very knowledgeable about Zakopane. However touring a graveyard was a waste of time. Why would anyone on earth want to visit a graveyard full of unknown unimportant people (most of whom unheard of skiers)?
4) Including Tatras Mountains in the title is highly misleading. There are NO tatras mountains. You just see them from a distance and only if you're lucky and there is clear visibility. Otherwise up on Gubalowka is just another crowded place. The highlands in Scotland would put this rubbish to shame.
5) Stay clear of this tour at least in Summer (I can't speak of how it looks in winter).
6) I'm saying this as a person whose main aim was to get out of a city and mingle with nature. So it might have been my fault for choosing the wrong tour. If however you like touristy markety crowded heated places then you'll definitely enjoy this.
Beautiful scenery, comfortable ride, excellent guide. A very enjoyable day.
Fantastic trip ..Guide really interesting even in the cemetery in Zakopane ! Honest never seen such fascinating tomb stones before, steeped in history. Our guide Andrew gave us the option of free time or explaining more ...good measure of discussion without being overbearing. HIGHLY RECCOMEND TRIP :)
We loved the beauty of the scenery on this trip,sadly the weather was poor but we still enjoyed.
Good in the sense that it is hard to travel to Zakopane without a car but in terms of the prices in Poland, the tour is relatively pricey (as the things in Poland are quite cheap). Our guide Jacek is friendly and shared with us about Zakopane from different perspectives.
Bad Weather.Cemetery visit unnecessary-should have been optional--too wet to listen to info about
unknown deceased.Guide very thorough,his english rather excessively formal,plenty of information about his Grandmother,OK
Although this tour takes you to breath-taking scenery on the Tatras mountains and the picturesque village of Zakopane, I had to give this tour 5 stars because of the tour leader 'Jack'. Definitely, in all my travels he was one the best tour guides I have ever met. Soft spoken, friendly, full of knowledge and very informative. A man who really love his job!!!
Good guide, and a beautiful place well worth a trip
Beautiful place with gorgeous mountains.
Informative guide and beautiful scenery. Enjoyed very much.
Lovely day trip, although I wish I'd had longer in Zakopane. Our guide was excellent. The mini-bus was a little cosy, but that didn't detract from a fun outing.
Both my wife and I enjoyed this tour and jacks our guide wgas very helpfull.
Zakopane very commercial / tourist based environment which detracted much from the experience. Interesting to see the Tatras Mountains but was expecting to be higher than 'in the foothills'. Enjoyed seeing Polish countyside and the houses around the area.
Loading more reviews