Exploring New York by Water Taxi
By Viator, June 2014
New York’s extensive water taxi system can get you from Midtown Manhattan to Battery Park and South Street Seaport in Lower Manhattan as well as to neighboring Brooklyn. Visitors to New York can enjoy spectacular views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the new One World Trade Center and the Brooklyn Bridge, all with a minimal amount of walking and zero worry about the city’s notorious traffic. Locals, meanwhile, can use the water taxi to hop across to the up-and-coming Red Hook district of Brooklyn or even to do some shopping at IKEA Brooklyn, which houses its own dock.
The best thing about a hop-on, hop-off cruise on the water taxi is that, just as the name implies, you can hop off at various stops to see attractions like the Empire State Building, NBC Studio, Times Square, Battery Park, Wall Street, South Street Seaport, DUMBO, Brooklyn Bridge Park and more. Once you’re done exploring at one site, you can hop back on the water taxi and enjoy the views of Manhattan’s skyline as you make your way to your next stop.
Here's our recommendation on getting the most out of your water taxi experience: Split your time between 2 days! There is so much to see and do at each stop you'll want to allow plenty of time for sightseeing off the boat as well.
For more information on routes, click here to see a map.
- Board at Pier 84, near West 44th Street
- Your first stop: Battery Park in Lower Manhattan
- Next, visit the 9/11 Memorial nearby
- Board the water taxi again at South Street Seaport
- Get off at Pier 84
- Check out the Intrepid Space, Air and Sea Museum at the neighboring Pier 86
- Tour West Village before boarding the water taxi at Christopher Street
- Stop off at Pier 1, your gateway to Brooklyn
- After touring the borough, board again at Pier 1
- Stop off at South Street Seaport to further explore Lower Manhattan
- Board a water taxi for your Statue of Liberty evening cruise to cap off your day
Tours & Tickets
Experience New York City like an insider on this action-packed VIP tour, which combines NYC’s newest sites with its most iconic attractions, including first ... Read more
New York City, New York
Duration: 5 hours 30 minutes (approx.)
Take advantage of hop-on hop-off passes for the New York Water Taxi and a double-decker sightseeing bus with this Viator Exclusive, available nowhere else! ... Read more
New York City, New York
Duration: 2-4 days