Consecrated in 1248, Sainte Chapelle was built to house what was believed to be Jesus' Crown of Thorns and other relics purchased by King Louis IX from the bankrupt empire of Byzantium. The chapel's exterior can be viewed from across the street, from the law courts' magnificently gilded 18th-century gate, which faces Rue de Lutèce. Regular evening concerts are held here.
Sainte Chapelle is on the Ile de la Cité in the middle of the Seine River. Nearest metro station is Cite on line 4. Access the chapel from the boulevard du Palais.
Tours & Tickets
Location: Paris, France
Duration: 3 hours 30 minutes