Chiesa di Santa Maria della Spina
The exquisite church of Santa Maria della Spina is one of the prettiest fairy-tale churches in the world.
Designed in classic Pisan Gothic style, the tiny striped marble church was built to house a thorn from the Crown of Thorns.
The building dates back to 1230, with Gothic enlargements in the 1350s. Originally, the building sat much closer to the river, and it was moved to its present site on the riverside walkway in 1871.
The interior is less ornate than the fanciful exterior, with many statues and details being lost during the relocation. However, a magnificent Madonna and Child remains, sculpted by Andrea and Nino Pisano in the mid-14th century.
The Chiesa di Santa Maria della Spina is built into the promenade wall lining the River Arno. On the opposite side of the river to the Piazza dei Miracoli, it is around 800 m (half a mile) from the station.
Take a walk here from the station, or catch a bus.