One of the three Doric cities mentioned by Homer that once reigned over the ancient island of Rhodes, the ancient city of Kamiros stretches along the northwest coast of the island, in the shadows of Mt Akramytis. Kamiros was once one of the most prominent cities in the Dodecanese islands, thriving off local figs, wine and oil production, and the first Rhodian city to cut its own coins. The city joined forces with neighboring Lindos and lalysos to form the modern day city-state of Rhodes in 5th century BC, but was eventually deserted and abandoned.
The Hellenistic ruins of Kamiros were first discovered in 1929, unearthing traces of the 3rd Century BC city, which had mysteriously buried over time. Today, archeological finds from Kamiros can be found on display in the Louvre, the British Museum and the archaeological Museum of Rhodes, but the remains of the agora, temple and reservoir still stand on the ancient site.
Wandering through the ruins, it’s possible to envision the grandeur of the former city. Built on three levels, the city was crowned by the hilltop Acropolis, offering spectacular views along the coastline, and leads down to the Hellenistic temple, Doric Fountain-house, Agora and Peribolos of the Altars.