Alexander Nevsky Lavra Monastery
Founded by Peter the Great in 1710 to commemorate the Russian military leader who stopped the advance of the Germans and Swedes in the 13th century, the Alexander Nevsky Monastery (Александро-Невская лавра) is not just a tribute and final resting place to one of Russia’s great leaders, but home to many of Russia’s historical icons.
Upon entrance through the main gate you will notice the Lazarev and Tikhvin Cemeteries on either side, known together as the Necropolis of Masters of Art (Некрополь мастеров искусств) where the ornate tombs of Leonhard Euler, Mikhail Lomonosov, Nikolay Karamzin, Modest Mussorgsky, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, and Fyodor Dostoevsky reside.
The monastery also includes 2 baroque churches, the Saint Nicholas Church (Никольская церковь), and the majestic Holy Trinity Cathedral (Троицкий собор), one of the very few churches given permission to carry out sermons during Soviet rule. Even though much of the monastery’s structures have undergone sporadic reconstruction, the baroque style that dominates much of the complex is still intact.