Located in the historic Haymarket district, the Capitol Theater began its life in 1892 as the Belmore Markets, which closed in 1916. The building was then converted into a hippodrome designed for the Wirth Bros circus. Within ten years the circus became financially unviable and the building was again converted, this time into a movie theatre. Its manifestation as a ‘picture palace’ lasted until the 1980s, when is was scheduled to be demolished. Luckily, a Heritage Council conservation order rescued the theatre and it was eventually restored to create the world-class lyric theatre that is today.