Although gazetted as a public park (common) in 1810 by Governor Macquarie and named after Hyde Park in London, today’s park was not recognizable in its current form until 1927, when architect and landscape artist Norman Weekes won a competition to beautify the area. Prior to this, the park was used as a sports field, a racecourse and a venue for bareknuckle fights!
The tiled central avenue that cuts through the park from Macquarie Street to the ANZAC Memorial is lined with Hill’s Figs and is a lovely place to seek shade on a hot day.
Hyde Park plays an important role in a number of cultural events throughout the year and is the venue for the Sydney Festival, Australia Day, ANZAC Day and the Food & Wine Fair.
Hyde Park runs parallel to George St and is bounded by Elizabeth St to the west and College St to the east. If traveling by train, get off at either the St James or Museum railway stations.