Sydney is a great family destination so if you’re traveling with kids you won’t struggle to find things to keep you all entertained. Here’s my pick of the best!
1. Powerhouse Museum, Darling Harbour: The Powerhouse Museum is not just for kids although you will find plenty of workshops and interactive play-spaces to keep them busy here. It’s a hands-on museum with an ever-changing program of exhibitions across the arts and sciences, technology, space and social history. Open 10am-5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day. www.powerhousemuseum.com
2. IMAX movie screen, Darling Harbour: Who can resist the allure of the world’s biggest IMAX movie screen? Combine a visit here with the Powerhouse Museum. Open daily from 10am. www.imax.com.au
3. Sydney Observatory, The Rocks: Visit Australia’s oldest Observatory and explore over 150 years of astronomy and meteorology. The kids will love the 3D Space Theatre. Open 10am-5pm daily. Nightly by bookings only. www.sydneyobservatory.com
4. Taronga Zoo, Mosman: Take the kids on a short Sydney Harbour Ferry to this award-winning Zoo. Home to nearly 3000 exotic and native species, the Zoo offers the rare chance to see endangered animals such as snow-leopards, Sumatran tigers and Western Lowland Gorillas. Don’t miss the Seal Show! Open 9am to 5pm daily. Daily guided tours. www.taronga.org.au
5. Sydney Aquarium, Darling Harbour: Australia’s best aquarium takes you on a journey through the southern rivers and oceans to the Great Barrier Reef in the north. Don’t miss your chance to see two of only six dugongs on display anywhere in the world.
Open 9am to 8pm daily. http://sydneyaquarium.myfun.com.au