The Castle of Rivoli was probably built in the 10th century, but it came into the hands of the House of Savoy in the 11th century. Soon after, the castle was damaged during a conflict between Savoy and the bishops of Turin, but it was restored by military engineer Ascanio Vitozzi in the later part of the 16th century.
In the middle of the 17th century, work continued on Vitozzi's designs until construction began on the planned Manica Lunga gallery. Following the War of Spanish Succession, new construction began in 1706, when Victor Amadeus II commissioned the Sicilian architect Fillipo Juvarra to work on its facade, but he never completed the work.
When Amadeus II lost power to his son, Charles Emmanuel, he abdicated and lived as a prisoner in the castle, which went unused and abandoned following Amadeus' death. It became army barracks in 1863, but its fortunes grew worse; in the Second World War, much of its edifice was destroyed, and it would not be restored and reopened until 1984.
Today, the Castle of Rivoli is one of the most important art galleries in Europe, housing the Museo di Arte Contemporanea (Contemporary Art Museum). Opened in 1984, the Contemporary Art Museum is home to an exhaustive number of modern pieces as well as two exhibits, including one devoted to the works of video/installation artist Vito Acconci.