Until 1938, the Royal family of Liechtenstein resided in Vienna, but after the Anschluss, when Austria was annexed to the German Third Reich on 12 March 1938, they made a hasty retreat to their small country squeezed between Austria and Switzerland. They didn't, however, manage to take everything with them, and it was only near the end of WWII that they transferred their collection of baroque masterpieces to Vaduz. After years of storage there, in 2004 the collection came back to Vienna and was put on public display in the magnificent Baroque Liechtenstein Palace.
The art collection, known as the Princely Collection, is one of the largest private collections in the world, consisting of around 200 paintings and 50 sculptures, dating from 1500 to 1700. It's displayed over two of the palace's three floors and includes the likes of Rubens, Raphael, van Dyck and Rembrandt.
We don't have any reviews for this attraction – be the first to review it! Simply click Add Review above and share your opinion.
Catch the U4 to Rossauer Lande, bus 40A to Bauernfeldplatz or tram D to Porzellangasse.