Vienna has a new museum: Fantastic Realism shown at the magnificent Palais Palffy! Vienna School of Fantastic Realism is legendary. A living legend, that now got it´s home.In a permanent exhibition the collection presents an impressive and wide documentation of works of the School of Fantastic Realism. The visitor gets a good overview about the international art-making of the Fantastic Painters as he will become acquainted with 150 works by 120 different artists.
Vienna School of Fantastic Realism is the name for a particular Austrian art movement inspired by surrealism. Main representatives include A. Brauer, E. Fuchs, R. Hausner, W. Hutter and A. Lehmden. The teacher and and quot;father and quot; of the group was A. P. Gütersloh; the artists who formed the group were his students at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts. Within the Art-Club, the and quot;fantasts and quot; stood up especially against abstract art. Their manner of painting was heavily influenced by the technical perfection of the classical masters and psycho-analysis was of particular importance for their work. With their first exhibition in Vienna in 1959, which was soon followed by further exhibitions abroad, they had already laid the foundation for their international importance. Their art gained widespread success due to large editions of graphic reproductions and because of their large, if somewhat fluctuating, following of students and imitators.
Not only in Austria, but worldwide, the Museum of Fantastic Realism is the only one with that exclusive orientation. Beside the austrian painters there are pictures by Brigid Marlin from Britain ("Wolves in the Cathedral") or the russian Victor Safonkin ("Whale Hunter").The german group "Die neuen Meister" around Siegfried Zademack are represented as well as the „Next Generation“ like Florian Aigner, Jehan Calvus, Benedetto Fellin or Jolanda Richter.
In the shop a fantastic catalog of the entire exhibition – 312 pages- is available.
1010 Wien, Josefsplatz
Daily: 10 am – 18 pm
entrance fee : € 9,-
Photos are courtesy of the Palais Palffy.