No reviews, be the first!
- Address: 14th St SW
- Hours: Visitor Center open Sep-Mar Mon-Fri 8:30am - 3:30pm, Apr-Aug Mon-Fri 8:30am - 7:30pm
When the Bureau opened in 1862 in the basement of the Treasury building, six people were employed in creating all the nation’s paper money; by 1914, operations moved into this imposing building. In 1991, a second facility in Fort Worth, Texas had to be opened to handle demand. While technology has changed a great deal since the Bureau’s inception, master moneymakers still use original tools like the graver, burnisher, and a hand-held glass.
The only way to visit the Bureau is via a 40-minute tour of the production facility and gallery. These tours are offered on a first-come, first-served basis; if you’re visiting D.C. during peak seasons – Cherry Blossom time, Easter or Spring Breaks – it’s advisable to get in line by 7 a.m. to secure free, same-day tickets. One person can get up to four tickets, and the ticket office (entrance on Raoul Wallenberg Place) opens at 8 a.m.
Limited, two-hour street parking is available near the Bureau, but it’s
included on the Orange Loop of the Old Town Trolley, and the Metrorail’s
Smithsonian station (serving the Orange and Blue Lines) is one block