2011 Press Releases
Celebrate the Statue of Liberty's 125th Birthday with Viator
October 27, 2011
SAN FRANCISCO - (Oct. 27, 2011) - On Oct. 28, the Statue of Liberty turns 125 years young, and the following day she'll close for a yearlong renovation. In the meantime, Liberty Island will remain open for tourists to visit the museum, cafe and gift shop and to enjoy iconic photo ops in front of Lady Liberty, as the upgrades will be confined to the statue's interior. Viator - the leading resource for more than 9,000 tours and activities in 800 -plus destinations in more than 150 countries - offers a variety of tours to Liberty and Ellis Island for travelers to pay homage to the 19th century icon as she receives as 21st century makeover.
- Viator's New York Hop-on, Hop-off Tour includes a ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, where visitors can take in the rich history of the thousands of immigrants who arrived in New York by boat and glimpsed the same shores with smiles and anticipations.
- Explore New York Harbor on a one-hour Statue of Liberty Express Cruise with fantastic views of Lady Liberty, Manhattan Skyline and Brooklyn Bridge. The same cruise is offered in the evening for those who prefer to watch the sun set over the world's most beautiful skyline.
- History buffs and romantics will enjoy a cruise aboard New York's only historic tall ship, the Clipper City - a replica of the lumber-hauling schooners that drove America's industry more than a century ago that was built using plans from the Smithsonian Museum. Choose from a cruise that departs during the day, at sunset or at night, with breathtaking views of the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island and the Manhattan skyline.
- Those not content with a view from sea-level will enjoy Viator's 25-minute helicopter tour of the Big Apple, with a close-up view of the Statue of Liberty as well as bird's-eye views of Ground Zero, the Empire State Building and Central Park, among other notable New York landmarks.
- Travelers can discover New York's renowned historical landmarks - including an up close and personal cruise by the Statue of Liberty - on Viator's new Freedom Tour by Land and Sea, with visits to the new National September 11 Memorial at Ground Zero, the Firefighters' Memorial, St. Paul's Chapel, and Trinity Church.
Viator's Statue of Liberty and New York tours and activities can be accessed through Viator.com, the Viator Tours and Activities App for iPhone and Viator's mobile site. Visit the Viator Travel Blog for more inspiration, or follow the company on Facebook and Twitter for the latest deals, promotions, contests and Viator news.
Viator® is the world's leading online resource for travel experiences, providing access to nearly 9,000 tours, attractions and activities in 750-plus destinations in more than 150 countries. Viator - the Latin word for traveler - offers a one-stop shop to plan, research and book trip activities via its Web and mobile platforms with resources such as 260,000 traveler reviews, ratings and photos, suggested itineraries and the Viator Travel Blog. Viator's in-house travel experts hand pick trusted local operators to ensure quality, value and service, all backed by a low price guarantee. Viator sells its products through Viator.com, the Viator Tours and Activities App for iPhone, the Viator Ultimate Experience Guide for iPad, eight local language sites for the European and Japanese markets and more than 2,000 affiliated sites that include major hotel chains and airlines, online travel agencies, city-specific sites and more. Viator is a privately held company, with lead investment from The Carlyle Group, one of the world's largest private equity firms. Founded in 1995, Viator is headquartered in San Francisco with regional offices in Sydney, London and Las Vegas. Visit the Viator Travel Blog for more inspiration or follow the company on Facebook and Twitter for the latest deals, promotions, contests and Viator news.