2008 Press Releases
Going Cruising? Viator.com Offers Shore Excursions in More Than 20 Ports with Less Hassle, More Variety
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Cruisers Save 8% on 2008 Shore Excursions Booked Before April 30, 2008
San Francisco, CA (March 12, 2008) - It's a vacation destination expecting a record year - The Cruise Ship. According to the Cruise Lines International Association, Inc. (CLIA), more than 12.8 million* people are expected to become cruise ship passengers this year, with families/multigenerational cruisers and baby boomers among the fastest growing cruise vacation groups. As millions choose to hit the seas this year, travelers are demanding more from their cruise experience.
Viator.com offers cruising travelers unique, affordable alternatives to cruise-sponsored shore excursions. Cruise passengers can customize their itinerary (for both before, during and after the cruise) with exciting port experiences around the world, with the confidence of Viator's low price guarantee. Viator pre-screens local tour operators for quality and service, offering sea-goers the opportunity to step out of the ordinary, and escape the hordes of fellow ship passengers for a few hours at a time. And, for a limited time, travelers who spend $200 (or AUD200, £200 or €200) or more on Viator Shore Excursions will receive 8% off** their purchase of these already low-priced activities (booked before April 30, 2008). Cruisers can enter promotion code SHORETRIP at time of purchase at Viator.com.
Below are great options hand-picked by Viator's team of travel experts:
CARIBBEAN - From swims with exotic aquatic life to picturesque hikes to high wire adventure, Viator's excursions take advantage of all of the diverse pleasures the islands have to offer.
- Barbados: Truly get below the surface during the Atlantis Submarine Expedition (from $99) with views of the beautiful coral reef, abundant colorful fish, and a descent to a sunken shipwreck, all narrated by the knowledgeable crew.
- Grand Cayman: Get some high-speed touring (up to 50 miles per hour) during the Grand Cayman Wave-runner Seven Mile Beach Excursion (from $75). Explore the Cayman's pristine scenery with stops for snorkeling at West Bay Reef and Georgetown Harbor.
- Nassau: See what it's really all about - underwater - during the Snorkel Bahamas Adventure (from $48) as you swim in the shallows of Nassau's famous reefs amid schools of colorful fish.
- Ocho Rios: Riders hitting the shores of this Jamaican city can combine history and adventure during the Heritage Beach Horse Ride (from $70), or for the more experienced rider, during the Private Heritage Beach Horse Ride (from $80).
- St. Lucia: Leave the pool lounge to wrestle with the beasts of the deep while Deep Sea Fishing (from $105), using the trolling method and "fighting chair," travelers are given all the tools to land the big one.
EUROPE - Soak up the rays or take in all of the history here in the cradle of civilization. From private tours to unique cultural opportunities to fun in the sun, Viator takes care of visitors in style.
- Istanbul: The Istanbul Two Continents Tour (from $42.50) crosses the Bosphorus Bridge, a unique chance to travel from one continent (Asia) to another (Europe) in only two minutes with stops at Ottoman palaces and a trip up Camlica Hill, the highest point in Istanbul.
- Lisbon: The Private Tour of Lisbon, Estoril Coast and Sintra (from $91) enables travelers to discover Lisbon and also the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sintra and the Estoril Coast in just one day, by way of chauffeured luxury vehicle.
- Naples: Unwind in privacy with the Amalfi Coast Private Day Tour (from $65), which offers a leisurely, privately chauffeured visit to the famed beach towns of Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.
CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - Diverse natural beauty and unique cultures characterize the countries of Central and South America. Viator's many excursions offer ways to take in the best of both.
- Akivi, Easter Island: The half day Akivi (Puna Pau and Seven Moai) excursion (from $26) visits the archaeological center of the Roihi sector on Easter Island, of particular interest because of the 7 Moais found there and the legend that surrounds them.
- Rio de Janeiro: The Helicopter Tour over Rio De Janeiro (from $127) provides a rare opportunity to view the gems of Rio from the air like the golden beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana, Christ Statue on Corcovado Mountain and Rodrigo de Freitas Lake.
BEFORE AND AFTER - Viator's team of travel experts recommends that cruise passengers consider their ports of embarkation and disembarkation as part of the overall trip experience and take time to soak up local culture, learn something new or enjoy a night on the town.
- Ft. Lauderdale: Indulge your spooky side on the Ghosts, Mysteries and Legends Tour (from $18) walking along the banks of the New River revealing hauntings and local mysteries.
- Miami: Start the vacation in proper style with the Miami Party Pass (from $25), offering entry to 12 of Miami's hottest nightclubs, with skip the line and other VIP privileges.
- New Orleans: Take some time to discover a part of history truly unique to the Southern United States during the West Bank Plantation Tour (from $76).
- New York City: Prior to the rolling waves, enjoy NYC's Original Rock 'n' Roll Walking Tour (from $29) and explore the history of rock, punk and glam while strolling along the streets of Manhattan.
All prices listed are per person unless otherwise noted.
Viator is the world's leading online resource for travel experiences, providing access to more than 5,500 tours, attractions and activities in 450-plus destinations in 75 countries. Viator - the Latin word for traveller - offers travelers a one-stop shop to plan, research and book trip activities with helpful resources like customer reviews, star ratings, suggested itineraries and the Viator Travel Blog. Viator's in-house travel experts have picked respected and trusted local operators to ensure a quality experience, value and service, all backed by Viator's low-price guarantee. Founded in 1995, Viator sells its products directly to consumers at www.viator.com and through its global network of more than 1,000 affiliates that include major hotel and airline companies, online travel agencies, city-specific sites and more. Through its collection of company operated and affiliated sites, Viator welcomes nearly 2 million visitors per month. Viator is headquartered in San Francisco with regional offices in Sydney, London and Las Vegas.
1 (973) 568-7589