For the most part this tour was very very good. The cost is probably a bit higher than it should be but I think it's still competitive with other companies.
1. I would NOT have taken my rental car up here so something like a tour is pretty much required if you're going up here.
2. Food was quite good even considering that it's all packed up and put out like a picnic - it's well put together.
3. We're Canadian so the idea of a parka was hilarious but I was still getting quite cold near the top
4. I did like that we had oxygen on board - the effects of altitude are such that I got quite loopy at the top and I felt more comfortable knowing somethign was there if I really had a major issue
5. our guide knew a ton about astronomy and the sky - the telescope lesson was very detailed. This is NOT my thing by my fiance is really really into it and ate it all up
6. the sunset was beautiful, we got unlucky it was cloudier than normal but it was still pretty aweinspiring.
Split my review into two:
Honestly as an adult that spent most of my trip snorkeling the reefs this was not the most entertaining experience. I am unable to scuba anymore for health reasons so it was cool to get lower and see some wreaks but it's not a LOT different than a simple snorkel if your ok diving down. The kids seemed to love it. My fiance is the reason we took the sub and he was amoung the excited kids because he'd never been in a sub (I have... so it's not as novel)
The luau is entertaining for sure and you will need to see one from some location. I choose island breeze because of the vegetarian dish they offer in addition to the buffet. The pasta dish I got was alright but not special but with that along with some menu items I was fairly satisfied. Most traditional hawaii food is not vegetarian, so from that perspective it's not a buffet of cool things for a veggie but it is for a meat lover. They do lift the pig out of the pit at this one (I guess not all do). Drink are alcoholic but don't taste good.
There is another tier of seating at the luau that allow you to get vip access, more entertainment and the best seats. Buying from viator will not get you this access or allow for an upgrade - you'll have to buy your luau elsewhere or some the hotel or something. I'm not sure the cost of that, but I would have liked to have better seats as we were way in the back corner and that made it hard to see the dancing or get any pictures.
© 1997–2014 Viator, Inc. 330203 All rights reserved. Viator is a registered trademark of Viator, Inc.
is a Service Mark of Viator, Inc. Travel with an Insider is a Service Mark of Viator, Inc.
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of Viator's Terms & Conditions.