Travel between January 14 and February 28, 2015, to save 10% off our previously offered price!
- Day trip to Petra from Amman with an expert local guide
- Start with a walk or short horseback ride to the entrance of the Siq
- Enjoy a comprehensive walking tour around Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Stroll through the Siq, and see the Treasury, Royal Tombs and amphitheater
- Learn about Petra’s use as a filming location in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Make the most of some free time to explore the Nabataean city at your own pace
What You Can Expect
Meet back up with the rest of your group at the Siq entrance, and start your walk through the 1-mile (1.5-kilometer) gorge, lined by sheer sandstone cliffs. After passing its final bend, come face to face with the Treasury, the iconic Petra landmark famously featured in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Gaze in wonder at its Hellenistic façade, which was carved into the rock face, as you hear all about its history from your guide.
From the Treasury, continue your walking tour through the ancient city while learning more about its past. Believed to have been founded in the 6th century by the Nabataeans, the city was later hit by an earthquake. Its rock-carved buildings remained intact — a fact that attests to the Nabataean’s expert craftsmanship and ingenuity. Stop for photos by the amphitheater, and walk up to the Royal Tombs, the vast burial site that lies just above the valley floor.
After your tour finishes, enjoy between two and three hours of free time to explore the ‘lost city’ on your own. Perhaps wander over to the Monastery — one of Petra’s largest monuments — or stroll to Petra Church to admire its mix of Nabataean and Byzantine architecture. You can also use the break to enjoy lunch at one of Petra’s several restaurants (own expense).
At the prearranged time, meet your driver back outside the city, and re-board your coach to travel back to Amman. Your day trip then finishes with a hotel drop-off in the early evening.
Please note: If you opt to enjoy the short horseback ride at the start of the tour, helmets are not provided. The ride does not go faster than a steady walking pace, and beginners can be led by an assistant.