Book by June 30, 2016 and you will enjoy 4-Star accommodation for the price of 3-Star accommodation
- 2-day Greece tour to Delphi and Meteora from Athens
- Discover two top Greek UNESCO World Heritage sites in one trip
- Explore the archeological site of Ancient Delphi on a walking tour
- See the Sanctuary of Apollo and hear tales about the Greek god Zeus
- Visit two of the famous rock monasteries in Meteora with an expert local guide
- Enjoy overnight 3- or 4-star hotel accommodation with dinner in Kalambaka, near Meteora
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Meteora is well worth the trip from Athens. This is a quick and hassle-free way to see its astonishing cliff-top monasteries and their staggering views!
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Over looking Meteora!Photo by: Kristina K
- Monastery of the Holy ...Photo by: Johannes C
- MeteoraPhoto by: Peng Seong K
- From Great Meteoron MonasteryPhoto by: Joulie G
- IMG_2253Photo by: SHIBASHISH B
- Meteora blissPhoto by: Roger M
- DelphiPhoto by: Griega Sea
- DelphiPhoto by: Adriana W
- St. Stephens MonestaryPhoto by: Barry C
United States of America, 05 2015
- DelphiPhoto by: Sophia L
- The view from a monasteryPhoto by: Sophia L
- The View from a monastery on ...Photo by: Sophia L
- Amazing rock formations at ...Photo by: Yang V
Philippines, 05 2015
- Temple of Apollo at DelphiPhoto by: Yang V
Philippines, 05 2015
- Great tour- Meteora is a must ...Photo by: Linda H
- Husband and wife at MetgeoraPhoto by: Arnel S
- Rocks at MeteoraPhoto by: Raymond J M
- Monasteries of MeteoraPhoto by: rochelle
- The Tholos.Photo by: Vidor N
- Monastery at MeteoraPhoto by: Shawn W
What You Can Expect
Start your 2-day tour with a pickup from your central Athens hotel or alternatively, make your way to Amalia Hotel near Syntagma Square to meet your guide. Hop on board your air-conditioned coach and then relax on the journey northwest to Delphi.
Stop in the historical spa town of Livadia to stretch your legs, and then continue through the larger town of Arachova to Delphi. Dominating the top of a cliff on the site of Mt Parnassus, the village is home to one of the country’s most famous archeological sites: Ancient Delphi. Head inside the UNESCO World Heritage site for your 1.5-hour walking tour, and learn all about the Ancient Greek civilization in Delphi from your guide. Built on the spot where eagles of the Greek god Zeus collided when released from opposite ends of the Earth, Ancient Delphi is strewn with monuments from the era such as the Sanctuary of Apollo, a highlight of the site.
Enjoy a break for lunch in town (own expense), and then relax on your afternoon journey through central Greece. Gaze out of your window as you cross the Thessalian plains, passing the pretty towns of Amphissa, Lamia and Trikala, and then arrive at your Kalambaka hotel in the early evening. After checking in you can explore town on your own, and finally relax over dinner in your hotel.
Overnight: 4-star Amalia Kalambaka Hotel or 3-star Orfeas Hotel in Kalambaka
Day 2: Kalambaka – Meteora – Thermopylae – Athens (B)
Savor breakfast in your hotel, and then travel to Meteora, your first destination of the day! The UNESCO World Heritage site is home to more than 20 rock monasteries, either perched precariously on top of Meteora’s towering sandstone cliffs or built into the cliffs themselves inside naturally formed caves.
With your guide, visit two of the incredible monasteries and hear fun facts and trivia about the monks who once called them homes. Originally lived in by 11th-century hermits, the monasteries later became safe havens for monks fleeing bloodshed when the Roman Empire began to fall. The two monasteries you may visit are subject to change but typically include Grand Meteora Monastery, Moni Varlaam or Moni Agiou Stefanou.
After your tour of Meteora, return to your coach for your journey back to Athens. The full route lasts around four hours, so enjoy a stop halfway in the coastal town of Thermopylae, near Lamia. Use the break for lunch (own expense), and to stretch your legs while learning about Thermoplylae’s historical battle between the Greek Spartans and Persians.
Travel onward to the Greek capital, and finish your 2-day tour with a drop-off at the start point (your hotel or central Athens) in the early evening.
This tour was amazing!
It is worth doing. Incredible sights. It is a comfortable bus ride with stops for the driver every 2.5 hours.
We really enjoyed the tour! very professional staff and driver. Beautiful monasteries!
Spectacular tour . Must see and do this.
great tour guide! Fantastic experience
M_DUBOISE United States of ...
The last time I was at Meteora was 1978. At that time there was only one 2 star hotel to say in. Tourist buses were not to be found. While the tourism industry surrounding Meteora has changed, the fantastic sights have not. Our tour guide was first rate. The bus and accommodations were impeccable and the food along the way was excellent. Including the fantastic sights at Delphi was a nice touch.
It was an amazing experience. Tour was on time, clean, guides knew their stuff, good food and hotels also excellent. Very good service.
Hopefully you will find something amazing around every turn like I did. You will appreciate the way the people who built these places thought about their lives and their relationship with their surroundings. Truly wonderful experience.
The trip to Delphi and Meteora was great - great places and truly amazing guides. Especially, our guide for Meteora, Steffie, is very knowledgeable, which made the trip really valuable.