- Full-day private Athens shore excursion including a city sightseeing tour and Cape Sounion trip
- Check all the top Athens attractions off your list, including Athens first Olympic Stadium and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Travel through the neighborhood of Glyfada and along the scenic coastal roads to Cape Sounion
- Explore Cape Sounion with your private guide and see the Temple of Poseidon
- Covered by Viator's worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
Visit Syntagma Square, home to the Greek Parliament House, and see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier – guarded by soldiers dressed in full regalia. Pass the Neoclassical buildings of the University of Athens on the way to the first Olympic Stadium, today named Panathinaiko Stadium, and hear about the stadium in ancient times before it was rebuilt for the modern Olympic Games.
Continue out of the city, traveling through the cosmopolitan coastal neighborhood of Glyfada – often called Athens Riviera – and then follow the shoreline to Cape Sounion. The journey takes roughly an hour, so sit back and relax, soaking up the views while listening to your guide explain the area’s history.
When you arrive, stroll over to see the Temple of Poseidon – one of the country’s most famous monuments. Perched on a rocky hilltop overlooking the Attic Peninsula coastline, the temple was once a shrine to the Greek god of the sea, Poseidon. On the opposite hill sits the ruins of the Sanctuary of Athena Sounion, and while they merely hint at the site’s former glory, the site’s historical relevance shines through.
After exploring Cape Sounion with your guide, travel back to Piraeus Port where your tour ends.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Athens port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.