- Food walking tour of Athens
- Taste savory Greek delicacies including the ever-popular sesame koulouri
- Learn the heritage of Greek cuisine
- Experience the vibrant Varvakeios food market
- Visit various specialty food shops in Athens offering an array of fruit, spices and meats
- Small group limited to 14 people for a more personalized experience
- Fully guided tour with local English-speaking guide
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Great for foodies! Sample popular and lesser-known Greek delicacies and visit a bustling local market where you can stock up on the spices that locals use.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Delicatessen ShopPhoto by: Isabel E
- Fruit Vegetable MarketPhoto by: Isabel E
- Meat marketPhoto by: Isabel E
- Chicken MpougatsaPhoto by: James M
- Meat and Olive sample at ...Photo by: James M
- Fruita and Vegetable MarketPhoto by: James M
- Sample Table at Cretan MarketPhoto by: James M
- Greek DonutsPhoto by: James M
- Fruit and Vegetable MarketPhoto by: macljones
- Athens Small-Group Food TourPhoto by: Butch Thomas
Australia, 05 2014
- Our groupPhoto by: Cal
- Beautiful spicesPhoto by: Cal
- They eat everythingPhoto by: Cal
- Meat marketPhoto by: Cal
- Taste testPhoto by: Cal
- Stop onePhoto by: Cal
- Atehns Food tourPhoto by: Megan Bruynel
New Zealand, 06 2013
- Athens Food tourPhoto by: Megan Bruynel
New Zealand, 06 2013
- P6250151Photo by: Monique S
Australia, 07 2012
- Athens Food TourPhoto by: Blanca
United Kingdom, 07 2012
What You Can Expect
Your licensed guide will lead you on a food stroll and introduce you to small, hidden specialty food shops. Listen to commentary about the unique and intricate culinary heritage of Greece, as well as the famous Mediterranean diet, hailed today as a model of healthy living.
A genuine Athenian food tour would not be complete without a visit to the vibrant and central Varvakeios food market. Its bustling energy and colorful world of fruit and spice stalls and meat and fish vendors truly make for a cultural experience.
An excellent tour with Vicky. Her knowledge is second to none and the importance of Greek cuisine in society became very obvious. The selection of places we were taken and the wide variety of foods we tried were amazing and I thoroughly reccommend this tour if you have any interest in seeing an authentic side of Athens. There's history and politics involved as you learn how food is central to Greek culture and you'll see places that you might not otherwise visit as a tourist, but which certainly warrant a reurn trip at lesiure to sample their products more widely.
Please note, you WON'T need breakfast and you may want a snooze by the time you've finished! A perfect Saturday morning...
The tours gives a different perspective to the history of Greece through the cuisine, traditions, changes, influences of different important events. Despina is very knowledgable and makes sure every traveller is treated with care. Food tasted has been delicious.
AMAZING!!!! Best tour ever. We visited so many interesting and tasty places, and learned so much about the food. It was an easy walk, even in the cold, and the food and guide were outstanding! Our guide was Dorina Katsadoraki and she was superb!! She told us interesting facts, took us to interesting places, and gave us time to shop or by things at places we visited --such as the amazing spice shop and little grocery. Well worth the price! Make sure you do this tour when in Athens.
This tour was terrific! We only had six in the group. The guide was very knowledgeable and we saw shopping areas that we would have never discovered as tourist. We had great samples of foods as we moved from one location to the next.
We loved our small group food tour. This was one of our favorite days we spent in Athens. Our tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. We would highly recommend this tour.
Dorina was a very spunky and knowledgeable guide. We enjoyed every second and every bite of this tour. As with all food tours we have done so far: It is a lot of food. Come hungry :
Great walking tour took me to places, tastes, and insights that I would have missed. I'd gladly go again.
excellent tour. The guide was really interesting and well informed. Lots of tasty treats
Thanks Lyn and 3 others
Food tours are on of the best ways to get to know a city. We really enjoyed our time with our guide, Artemis. She was very personable, and knowledgeable about Greek foods and their origins. We were able to sample many foods, treats and drinks, and walk around some local neighborhoods. It was a great way to get a local flavor of the big city of Athens.
This was a great experience, really unique, fun and interesting. I would definitely recommend this tour if you are in Athens.