- Food walking tour of Athens
- Taste savory Greek delicacies including the ever-popular sesame koulouri
- Learn the heritage of Greek cuisine
- Experience the vibrant Varvakeios food market
- Visit various specialty food shops in Athens offering an array of fruit, spices and meats
- Small group limited to 14 people for a more personalized experience
- Fully guided tour with local English-speaking guide
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Great for foodies! Sample popular and lesser-known Greek delicacies and visit a bustling local market where you can stock up on the spices that locals use.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Athens food tourPhoto by: Stephen B
- Delicatessen ShopPhoto by: Isabel E
- Fruit Vegetable MarketPhoto by: Isabel E
- Meat marketPhoto by: Isabel E
- Chicken MpougatsaPhoto by: James M
- Meat and Olive sample at ...Photo by: James M
- Fruita and Vegetable MarketPhoto by: James M
- Sample Table at Cretan MarketPhoto by: James M
- Greek DonutsPhoto by: James M
- Fruit and Vegetable MarketPhoto by: macljones
- Athens Small-Group Food TourPhoto by: Butch Thomas
Australia, 05 2014
- Our groupPhoto by: Cal
- Beautiful spicesPhoto by: Cal
- They eat everythingPhoto by: Cal
- Meat marketPhoto by: Cal
- Taste testPhoto by: Cal
- Stop onePhoto by: Cal
- Atehns Food tourPhoto by: Megan Bruynel
New Zealand, 06 2013
- Athens Food tourPhoto by: Megan Bruynel
New Zealand, 06 2013
- P6250151Photo by: Monique S
Australia, 07 2012
What You Can Expect
Learn about Greece's unique culinary heritage while you explore, and hear why the Mediterranean diet has become today's model of healthy living. Follow your guide inside small, hidden specialty shops and meet the locals behind them.
Afterward, make a stop at the bustling Varvakeios food market. Browse the colorful stalls filled with fruit, seafood, meat and local spices.
After three hours of sampling and sightseeing, your tour will conclude in the neighborhood of Plaka.
Great tour , great guide. Saw many interesting markets and learned a lot.
Fantastic experience, for kids and adults both. One of our highlights in Athens. Loved Dorina, our guide.
We had a blast on the food tour. We went places that we would never have found on our own. We ate things that we might never have tried. This was our last activity in Greece. It was a great way to end our vacation!
Wonderful tour! The ladies were very welcoming and I would def go again! Great time and great food!
Vicky was our group's guide and she was excellent. We experienced a fascinating morning filled with Greek foods, markets, and culture. Lots of samples and sights! I was thrilled to be exposed to unique flavors and ideas and although I bought some things, I never felt obligated to buy. You can participate without spending extra, but you may want to. :- I especially enjoyed discovering some of the medicinal herbs/oils. Later I took my husband back to many of the places using the tour map and we enjoyed them all over again. Wonderful experience with an outstanding and sweet guide. Highly recommend.
Artemis was our guide in this food tour and she was enchanting. She introduce us to the real Athenians food. we loved this tour.
An excellent tour with Vicky. Her knowledge is second to none and the importance of Greek cuisine in society became very obvious. The selection of places we were taken and the wide variety of foods we tried were amazing and I thoroughly reccommend this tour if you have any interest in seeing an authentic side of Athens. There's history and politics involved as you learn how food is central to Greek culture and you'll see places that you might not otherwise visit as a tourist, but which certainly warrant a reurn trip at lesiure to sample their products more widely.
Please note, you WON'T need breakfast and you may want a snooze by the time you've finished! A perfect Saturday morning...
The tours gives a different perspective to the history of Greece through the cuisine, traditions, changes, influences of different important events. Despina is very knowledgable and makes sure every traveller is treated with care. Food tasted has been delicious.
AMAZING!!!! Best tour ever. We visited so many interesting and tasty places, and learned so much about the food. It was an easy walk, even in the cold, and the food and guide were outstanding! Our guide was Dorina Katsadoraki and she was superb!! She told us interesting facts, took us to interesting places, and gave us time to shop or by things at places we visited --such as the amazing spice shop and little grocery. Well worth the price! Make sure you do this tour when in Athens.
This tour was terrific! We only had six in the group. The guide was very knowledgeable and we saw shopping areas that we would have never discovered as tourist. We had great samples of foods as we moved from one location to the next.