- 3-hour evening gnawa music tour in Essaouira
- Discover the music, culture and traditions of Morocco’s local gnawa people
- Groove to live music and dance performances at top local music spots
- Learn about traditional instruments, costumes and sacred music rituals
- Finish the tour by visiting a popular, live music venue near the Medina of Essaouira
- Small-group tour limited to 8 ensures a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Worth doing but did not meet expectations as set by Viator's promotional material. Visit to local home, meeting and discussion with dancer, dance demonstration, costume explanation, access to Gnawa shrine did not happen. Since I am a dance writer/researcher, that was a huge disappointment.
On the other hand, our guide Said was very helpful, sincere, and conscientious --taking us to the workshop of an exceptional Gnawa master who was most generous with his time, explanations, and musicianship. Our guide also made sure we we got back to our riad by accompanying us which we really appreciated.
The meeting up could have been facilitated by having your guide wear an identifiable article of clothing red baseball cap. Mostly, you need to assure your customers experience at least most of what you say you will provide.
Personnel were quite nice and professional. But tour was not as advertised. About 4 minutes total of music and no dance (and no glass of wine). Much explanation of Gnawa ritual, interesting but with only a few minutes of music. For the very high price we were quite disappointed and surprised.