- Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton and Rotorua 2-day tour from Auckland
- Visit the famous Waitomo Caves and learn how the glowworms radiate a magical luminescent light
- Discover Rotorua's cultural heritage and geothermal activity on a relaxing duck tour by amphibious vehicle!
- Experience real Maori culture at Tamaki Village with rituals, ceremonies, performances, storytelling and a traditional feast
- Admire Te Puia with its thermal mud pools and impressive geysers
- Enjoy a scenic drive across the Kaimai Ranges before you head to the Shire and Middle-earth on a Hobbiton Movie Set tour
Save over 30% on the recommended retail price. Special offer valid on adult prices only, for travel until September 15, 2013
What You Can Expect
Leaving Auckland, you’ll be driven south to visit the world-famous limestone formations of Waitomo Caves. Enter the subterranean labyrinth of caves to admire a magical world of stalactites and stalagmites, eerily lit by the luminescent gleam of tiny glowworms.
After your tour of the Waitomo Caves, a picnic lunch is served on board the coach as you are driven east across the North Island to Rotorua. There’s free time to explore Rotorua before boarding an amphibious ‘duck’ vehicle for a tour of Rotorua’s lovely lakes. In the evening, discover Rotorua’s rich Maori heritage during a night of ritual, ceremony and cultural performances, including a traditional Maori 'hangi' feast featuring meat and vegetables cooked in an earth oven.
Overnight: Accommodation at your chosen category in Rotorua
Day 2: Rotorua - Hobbiton - Auckland (B)
After breakfast, get ready to see mud pools, spouting geysers and other geothermal displays at Te Puia, where you’ll also enjoy Maori cultural performances. Next, meet New Zealand’s signature kiwi birds at Rainbow Springs Nature Park, and see sheepdogs and sheep-shearing in action at the Agrodome.
Your tour continues with a scenic drive across the Kaimai Ranges to the farm near Matamata that was transformed into Hobbiton for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movie set. Here you’ll see the fairytale landscapes of the Shire, including the hobbit holes, and visit the Green Dragon Inn and Mill.
Following your memorable visit to Hobbiton, your tour concludes in the early evening, with the option to be dropped off in Auckland or Rotorua.