- Bay of Islands day trip from Auckland
- Visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and take a guided tour of the Waitangi Treaty House
- See a traditional Maori meeting house and a huge waka (war canoe)
- Take the Bay of Islands ferry from Paihia to the town of Russell, site of New Zealand's first European settlement
- See the highlights of Russell, including the Pompallier Mission, Christ Church, and Flagstaff Hill
- Have free time to check out the beaches, cafes, shops and museums at your leisure
- Lunch included (if option selected)
Recent Photos of This Tour
Auckland LookoutPhoto by: sallymay
RussellPhoto by: George W
Russel TownshipPhoto by: George W
Ferry WharfPhoto by: Dono
Australia, 09 2013
NZ holi 030Photo by: sallymay
NZ holi 067Photo by: sallymay
Bay of Islands - from the ...Photo by: Anonymous
What You Can Expect
When you arrive in Paihia, you’ll head to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds for a guided tour of this historical site, where in 1840 the Treaty of Waitangi–considered the founding document of the nation–was signed by 43 Maori chiefs and the British Crown. You’ll visit the Waitangi Treaty House, built in 1832 as a private home and now a museum with informational displays, including a copy of the treaty. Nearby you'll find an elaborately decorated Maori meeting house and a large waka (war canoe) with photographs depicting its construction from gigantic logs.
After visiting Waitingi, you’ll take a short ferry ride to Russell for a 1-hour coach tour of this charming town with a wild past. Find out why Russell was once known as the 'Hellhole of the Pacific' and see historical highlights including the Pompallier Mission, Christ Church, and New Zealand’s oldest pub. From the top of Flagstaff Hill, you’ll get panoramic views over the bay and learn about the historical controversy surrounding the flagstaff in the 1840s.
You’ll have free time to spend at your leisure when the guided tour concludes in Russell. Relax in town and explore Russell’s cafes, shops, waterfront, museum and art galleries featuring Maori artists. After a scenic and informative full-day tour, you’ll reboard your coach and be returned to Auckland.
I had a wonderful bus driver/guide on the 1st day who was very informative about the sights we were passing. On the 2nd day I had a private tour with a local driver who followed the pre-planned route and also was able to add his own personal touch since he was a local resident. It was a friendly and fun trip!
Steve was a super guide, very informative and knowledgeable. very good views and i would like to stay one more day if i have time.