- Bay of Islands day trip from Auckland
- Visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and take a guided tour of the Waitangi Treaty House
- See a traditional Maori meeting house and a huge waka (war canoe)
- Take the Bay of Islands ferry from Paihia to the town of Russell, site of New Zealand's first European settlement
- See the highlights of Russell, including the Pompallier Mission, Christ Church, and Flagstaff Hill
- Have free time to check out the beaches, cafes, shops and museums at your leisure
- Lunch included (if option selected)
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Auckland LookoutPhoto by: sallymay
- RussellPhoto by: Gillian C
- Bay of IslandsPhoto by: Gillian C
- SceneryPhoto by: Gillian C
- RussellPhoto by: George W
- Russel TownshipPhoto by: George W
- Ferry WharfPhoto by: Dono
Australia, 09 2013
- NZ holi 030Photo by: sallymay
- NZ holi 067Photo by: sallymay
- Bay of Islands - from the ...Photo by: Anonymous
What You Can Expect
The trip to and from the Bay of Islands was a long ride, but it was definitely worth it. This place is so beautiful and definitely a must see. I would recommend the tour that includes overnight stay because there is so much to do in this area.
Long journey but comfortable and the driver was great. The treaty ground talk was especially interesting the guide explained the history really well.
Great full day tour of this wonderful area. Bay of Islands is a must see destination in New Zealand.
It's a long bus ride 4 hrs from Auckland to Bay of Islands, but well worth it. If you want to see some of New Zealand's countryside--the green rolling hills, the deep blue lakes, the herds of fat sheep and dairy cows--this is an excellent choice. Bay of Islands is a stunningly beautiful area. The Waitangi Treaty Grounds are pristine and lovely. It is easy to see why they each decided to settle there. The ferry to Russell, once the Hell Hole of the Pacific was a sunny 10-minute ride across sparkling waters to a sleepy little holiday town. No pirates left. Rachel, our guide, was super organized, very informative, and gave us a good overview of the area and New Zealand in general. A great day!
Was a great day next time would stay overnight sightseeing was rushed
A great day out to see some breathtaking scenery
Absolutely beautiful. Just about the best place I've been to yet. I was disappointed that the weather didn't allow a tour to the hole in the rock.
The trip was great
Very good and informative tour. Nicely planned, so you do not have to rush and run all the time. Quite amazing views.
Very enjoyable day but no time allowed to eat our lunch