- Waitomo Caves and Hobbiton movie set private tour from Auckland
- See glowworms glimmer in Waitomo Caves and take a boat ride on an underground stream
- Tour the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie set
- Visit the Hobbit holes, Green Dragon Inn and the Party Tree
- Private transport including hotel pickup and drop-off, lunch, snacks and drinks
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
This is an awesome day visiting two of New Zealand’s top attractions. Taking this private option allows you to travel at your own pace in the comfort of a private vehicle on this full-day tour.
What You Can Expect
At Waitomo, join a 45-minute tour of the amazing glow-worm caves, including a tranquil boat ride on an underground stream to ensure a good view of the glow worms.
Enjoy lunch in Waitomo, then travel by private vehicle to a farm near the small town of Matamata and the Shire's Rest cafe, where your Hobbiton tour begins.
Lasting just under two hours, your tour takes you on a drive through the bucolic sheep farm that was chosen as the Hobbiton movie set for The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. Hear how the location was chosen, how the sets were created and which scenes were shot here. Visit famous sites from the films, including the cute Hobbit holes cut into the ground at Bag End, the Green Dragon Inn, the Mill and the Party Tree.
Your tour concludes at the quaint Shire's Rest cafe, where your private guide will collect you for your return trip to Auckland. Follow a different route on the journey, and enjoy scenic views of the North Island's countryside before being dropped at your hotel in the city.