- Full-day tour to Waitomo Glowworm Caves, from Auckland
- Take a guided 45-minute tour through the famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Get great photo ops of fantastical rock formations in the underground chambers
- Learn from your expert guide about the history of the cave complex and what makes glow worms illuminate
- Enjoy a short boat ride through Glowworm Grotto
- Have time to explore the Waitomo visitor complex at your leisure
- Have the option to pre-book a buffet lunch or purchase your own snacks at the café
What You Can Expect
Your driver points out highlights of the region including the historically significant Rangiriri, where a major battle was fought between British and Maori forces in 1863 as part of the British effort to colonize the Waikato region.
When you arrive at the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, a local guide takes you on a 45-minute guided tour through the limestone caves. Walk through subterranean caverns where you see stalagmites, stalactites and other rock formations. Learn how the caves were formed as you take in the magnificent underground chambers. Your tour finishes with a short boat ride through Glowworm Grotto, where thousands of glowworms light up the darkness like tiny stars. Each strand that dangles from the rock is a living glow worm that emits light.
After your tour enjoy a buffet lunch (if option selected) or spend time in the visitor center before returning to Auckland in the afternoon. There is a café on-site with a limited menu if you would like to purchase lunch there.
At the designated time, meet your coach for the return trip to Auckland, where you are returned to your starting point in the afternoon.
We really enjoyed the caves and those busy glowworms were really glowing!
If I knew about the dark water experience I would have done that one insteadwet suit and walking through the cave. Still amazing and incredibly interesting.