- 2-hour kayak tour to Austin’s bat colony at the Congress Ave Bridge
- Learn the story of Austin’s famous resident bat colony from your expert guide
- See clouds of bats stream out from the Congress Ave Bridge for the night
- Paddle past Austin landmarks along the shores of Lady Bird Lake
- Enjoy time spent kayaking on Austin’s premier recreational lake
- No experience needed prior to the tour, all instruction provided
- Small-group tour limited to 15 people provides a more intimate experience
What You Can Expect
Paddle across Lady Bird Lake, a reservoir which was formed by a dam on the Colorado River in 1960. As you enjoy this amazing recreation area, hear informative and entertaining commentary from your guide share about Austin’s history and its famous bats.
The bat colony under the Congress Ave Bridge is the largest urban bat colony in North America. The Mexican free-tailed bats migrate every spring from central Mexico to the southwestern USA, settling into their home under the Congress Avenue Bridge. At dusk in the spring and summer, as many as 1.5 million bats take to the sky on their nightly hunt for food. The Austin colony alone is estimated to eat up to 20,000 pounds of insects every night; a contribution to the community that is celebrated by locals and visitors.
On the 2-hour kayak tour, arrive at the Congress Ave Bridge before dusk so that you have a great vantage point to see the bats take flight. Marvel at the clouds of tiny winged mammals above you as they soar out to hunt in the twilight. Your guide takes photos of your small group before you return to your starting point to end the tour.
Fantastic experience kayaking on colorado river then seeing the bats fly away from the bridge. Big tall gringas were great guides and special mention to Daisy the dog who came out onto the water too. If you are in Austin, it's a must do.
Fantastic!! The two girls taking this tour make it fun and entertaining. Both true professionals. Kayaking is fun and watching the bats come out of the bridge an amazing experience. Definitely recommend.
The bats never came out :(