- Austin bat-viewing and city highlights tour by Segway
- Learn to ride the eco-friendly Segway
- Cruise to the Congress Avenue Bridge for an amazing view of as many as 1.5 million bats emerging at dusk
- Discover the many benefits of Austin's bat colony
- Get a glimpse of the downtown scene as you ride through the Sixth Street Historic District
- Stop at the statue of Angelina Eberley, an Austin heroine
- See Austin highlights including the State Capitol, Moonlight Towers and the Paramount Theatre
What You Can Expect
Glide towards your tour’s main destination: the Congress Avenue Bridge, home to North America’s largest urban bat colony. During spring and summer around dusk, the bats make their nightly appearance as they leave the colony to hunt for food. Witness the beauty of 1.5 million bats taking flight!
The Austin bat colony is comprised of Mexican free-tailed bats that migrate from central Mexico to the southwestern USA every spring. The misunderstood creatures were initially feared, until wildlife experts explained that bats benefit the city by eating up to 20,000 pounds of insects every night, including agricultural pests, and they are harmless to humans if left undisturbed. Nowadays, the city considers them part of the community; it's a popular sight to see among locals and visitors alike.
Your guide shares more fascinating facts about the bats as you marvel at the cloud of tiny winged mammals for about 20 minutes.
On your journey to and from the bridge, cruise by several Austin landmarks. See the grandiose 19th-century Texas State Capitol building, then buzz by the 165-foot-tall (50 m) Moonlight Towers, thought to be the only remaining light towers in the world.
Continue past the Paramount Theatre, a staple of Austin entertainment for more than 100 years, and zip through the Sixth Street Historic District. Stop at the Angelina Eberley statue to hear your guide talk about the legendary protest of this Austin heroine.
After about 1.5 hours, your guide returns you to your starting point to end your tour.
This was a great tour. We had some scheduling issues and the guys worked with us and helped us rearrange everything. It showed us a lot of downtown Austin and the guide pointed out some great places to visit. Would definitely recommend!!
We had a great time, our tour guide was fun, informative and flexible. Great way to see the city and experience something new. Easy to ride - no coordination needed !