This small-group tour is limited to seven people, ensuring personalized attention from your guide.
- 6.5-hour evening tour of Catalonia from Barcelona
- Enjoy a wine-tasting session at an Alella vineyard
- Explore the Roman city of Mataró on a gourmet walking tour
- Visit Mataró’s Human Tower Association center to see a live ‘human tower’ rehearsal -- a tradition noted as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Take part in a human tower display and form part of the tower base (optional)
- Small-group tour with a maximum of seven people ensures a more personalized experience
Learn all about the region’s strict regulations on grape varieties and organic agricultural practices as you visit one of the best bodegas in town. After touring the cellars, take part in a wine-tasting session, savoring the exquisite notes of red and white Alella wines while soaking up views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Continue to the nearby Roman city of Mataró, where you can stretch your legs during a leisurely paced walking tour. With food as the theme, your tour includes visits to the places where the locals themselves eat. Following your expert guide, visit a traditional churreria to try sugary, doughnut-like churros and stop at the town’s ‘Jamón Corner’ where you’ll sample locally cured meats. Learn about traditional Catalan baking while tasting cookies at La Confianza boutique, and then browse kitsch gourmet stalls in El Rengle market.
Besides its reputation as a hotbed for traveling foodies, Mataró is also famous as the home of the Human Tower Association center – where locals train to take part in traditional human tower (or castell) festivals around Catalonia. Head here to learn about this time-honored Catalan tradition -- listed as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage -- and watch a group of children performing.
After their rehearsal, you can have a go yourself! Entirely optional, your ‘practice session’ includes use of a traditional castell outfit and the help of an instructor to form part of la pinya – the solid human base of the tower. After watching or getting involved (the choice is yours!), you’ll return to Barcelona, arriving at about 11:30pm.