- Enjoy a guided walk through the Puketi Rainforest in Bay of Islands, from Waitangi Wharf
- Stop for morning refreshments
- Learn about New Zealand’s rainforest from a knowledgeable local guide
- Get a close look at the native flora and fauna in a subtropical rainforest
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
- Small-group of 8 passengers per guide
What You Can Expect
Your guide will share legends of the Maori people and stories from European colonial history as you stroll by thundering waterfalls and magnificent trees, including two of the largest kauri in New Zealand. Keep an eye out for native birds such as the rare kokako, which was only recently reintroduced to the forest. You'll marvel at the variety of the 370 recorded species of plants – some not found anywhere else in the world!
You’ll witness conservation efforts in the forest, learn the Maori names for some tree species and come to understand the ecology and legends of the kauri tree. Also enjoy a stop for refreshments around the halfway point of your walk.
At the end of the tour, you will be returned to your ship with great memories from this excursion into the lush Puketi forest.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Bay of Islands port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.