- Two-hour boat tour of the Bay of Islands while your ship is in Paihia
- Learn the Bay of Islands’ importance in the founding of the nation of New Zealand
- Spot dolphins, penguins, whales and other marine wildlife as you get an up close look at the area
- See Black Rocks, Roberton Island (Motuarohia) and stop on an island for a guided walk or time at a secluded beach
- Hear informative commentary from the local crew about the history and wildlife of the Bay of Islands
- Free time to visit the markets and enjoy lunch in Paihia (own expense) before returning to your ship
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
As you glide through the sheltered waters of the Bay of Islands, your knowledgeable crew will share commentary about local history and wildlife. Look for the abundant marine life in these waters, including whales, dolphins, seals, penguins, and sea birds. You’ll see the dramatic seascape of Black Rocks and other rocky outcrops. Then have a short stop on an island where you can relax at a secluded beach.
Throughout your tour, a guide will share the significant history of Bay of Islands: the first permanent British settlement was established here and, in 1840, the Treaty of Waitangi–considered the founding document of the nation–was drawn up and signed here.
You’ll cruise past highlights like Roberton Island (Motuarohia) where Captain Cook was the first European to visit (in 1769) and a number of archaeological sites have been found.
After a scenic and informative 2-hour tour, you’ll be returned to Paihia.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Bay of Islands port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Very nice tour. Guide was most knowledgeable.
A most enjoyable trip.Very informative and knowledge of the area and geological formations.Beautiful isolated beach and enjoyed a fabulous swim.A fun little twist and speed over the bay.Very worth while trip.A must do.