- Visit Cape Reinga on the top of New Zealand's North Island
- Admire its wild and untouched beauty and learn about its rich Maori culture and traditions
- Immerse yourself in the Puketi Kauri Forest as you walk through 1,000 year old Kauri trees and native bush
- Try the sandboarding experience down the massive sand dunes at Te Paki Stream
- Walk on the vast and stunning Ninety Mile Beach
- Enjoy lunch of either fish and chips or a falafel salad)
- Listen to interesting commentary and Maori legends from your expert guide
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Start your New Zealand North Island adventure day trip with a stop at the Puketi Forest, home to 1,000-year-old kauri trees, some of the most ancient trees in the world. Walk along a ground-level boardwalk that meanders around the trunks of the trees and learn more about the area from the information panels located throughout the walk.
After you leave the Puketi Forest, you’ll head to Houhora Harbour, where you will enjoy a buffet lunch at Houhora Game Fishing Club . Later you will go to Cape Reinga, the northernmost tip of New Zealand. You’ll feel as though you’re standing on the edge of the world as you watch the Pacific Ocean collide with the Tasman Sea.
Maori legend says that Cape Reinga is the departure point for spirits on their way to the Maori homeland in Hawaiki. There are no shops on Cape Reinga, and eating and drinking is frowned upon in order to show respect for this sacred Maori site. For an additional cost, you can aid New Zealand’s conservation program by planting a native tree.
From Cape Reinga, your tour continues down the North Island’s coast. Your first stop is the giant sand dunes at the Te Paki Quicksand Stream, where you can try your hand at sandboarding. Experience an exhilarating ride down the face of a dune on a boogie board!
Finally, get back on the Waverider coach and head south on Ninety Mile Beach. This strikingly beautiful stretch of unpopulated beach, is a marked contrast to the bustle of the island’s East Coast, and you will have plenty of opportunities to stick your toes in the sand and help your guide dig for shellfish.
Your New Zealand North Island adventure ends with your return drive to Paihia.
This was an awesome tour. I would reccomend this to anyone visiting the Bay of Islands area !
this tour was made all the more interesting by our tour guide Chris who told us about the Maori tribes which he was one of Great tour motoring on 90 mile beach excellent fish and chips for lunch overlooking the water fabulous The Kauri trees amazing so much to see and do