- Full-day private tour of Bayeux and Caen
- Learn about Normandy’s significant history from your expert private guide
- Enter Bayeux Cathedral and see the Bayeux Tapestry at Bayeux Tapestry Museum
- Follow the footsteps of William the Conqueror on a tour of Caen
- Admire the notable Romanesque architecture of Abbey of St-Etienne
- See William's palace remains at Château de Caen overlooking the city
- Customize your private tour to suit your preferences
What You Can Expect
After strolling past charming half-timbered houses and ancient structures, opt to visit either the Conservatoire de la Dentelle to see lace makers at work, or peruse the artistic treasures within the Baron Gérard Fine arts Museum. Continue to Bayeux War Cemetery, the largest World War II cemetery in France, and then revitalize with an independent lunch in a local restaurant (own expense).
Revitalized, continue onto Caen to get acquainted with the city most strongly associated with William the Conqueror. Listen as your guide offers fascinating commentary that reveals the multifaceted history of the Caen, and then marvel at the grand architecture of the Abbey of St-Etienne, a former monastery and magnificent example of Romanesque architecture.
Head next to Château de Caen (Caen Castle), an impressive structure that boasts unrivalled views of the city from its rocky outcrop, and see the remains of William the Conqueror’s former palace. Conclude your tour with a stop at the Abbey of Ste-Trinité to see the resting place of Queen Mathilde, and then return to your Bayeaux hotel, where the tour concludes.