- 5-hour culinary experience with market tour and cooking class, in Beijing
- Take walking tour of a local market to pick out fresh ingredients for your cooking class
- Head to a family home and spend a morning cooking in either the courtyard’s open-air kitchen or modern indoor kitchen
- Learn how to cook several traditional Sichuan dishes or dim sum snacks from your instructor, an expert local chef
- Cook dumplings, wontons, noodles or pork buns if dim sum is on your day's menu
- Make dishes like kung pao chicken, stir-fried beef and sweet and sour pork, or vegetarian dishes if you choose a main course class
- Enjoy your delicious homemade meal in the ambiance of an ancient courtyard
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Beijing hutong cooking classPhoto by: Anonymous
- Savoring the resultsPhoto by: Ann H
- Market TourPhoto by: Michael B
- Woks side by sidePhoto by: Anna M
- Tofu shopPhoto by: Anna M
- The Chef and our lunchPhoto by: Anna M
- Learning to use a cleaverPhoto by: Anna M
- Dry fried green beansPhoto by: Anna M
- Mushrooms at the marketPhoto by: Anna M
- Awesome cooking classPhoto by: Timothy B
- Preping to make something ...Photo by: Timothy B
- Cooking ClassPhoto by: Randy H
- Assorted Soy Sauces and ...Photo by: eaglediva
- My Chinese cooking class ...Photo by: eaglediva
- other guestsPhoto by: Paul S
- marketPhoto by: Paul S
- Our MasterpiecesPhoto by: David M
- Map For Hutong Cuisine BeijingPhoto by: David M
- Cooking classPhoto by: Anonymous
- Dim sum making classPhoto by: Anonymous
What You Can Expect
This was one of the best things we did in Beijing! Highly recommend! The chef was a terrific teacher. We loved going to the market with him and seeing all the amazing foods there. The menu we prepared was absolutely delicious! Loved using the Chinese cleaver and the wok. The food he had us prepare was so good. We loved being in a hutong. This was the first morning after flying in and it was the perfect introduction to Beijing and to China!
This was a great tour. We made chinese dumplings. We prepared 3 different fillings vegetarian, pork and beef and we prepared them 3 ways steamed, boiled and fried.. It started with a visit to the local market to purchase ingredients for the cooking class. Then we returned to the instructors house to prepare the dumplings. The class was fun, informative and the results were delicious.
This class was a lot to f fun! The trip to the market was great because the chef took the time to walk through pointing out all the different items, their taste, origins, etc. the food was amazing and was fun to learn the techniques. Would definitely take more classes here if I had the opportunity!! Thank you for a great experience!!
My teenage daughters, husband and I all cooked at this class and had a fantastic time. The market tour was very interesting too. I have to eat gluten free and they were very accommodating, substituting ingredients so I could have all the recipes. Everything was tasty and we had a relaxing time. I bought a handmade knife for my kitchen at home. Our only challenge was getting there during rush hour. Metro was our best bet.
We loved this tour!! The market was so interesting to see, our guide was personable and knowledgeable, and the dumplings we made were amazing! We were so glad we took this class.
After a very long flight from Chicago, we arrived in Beijing and got to our hotel pretty late at night. We woke quickly the next morning thanks to jet lag and excitement to take the Market Tour and Dumpling cooking class. It was the perfect first day for our 5 day trip to Beijing. The market tour was my wife, our chef, and myself and we had a great time venturing through the seasonal vegetables, noodle counters, and protein areas fish area, pork, beef, etc.. After we returned we prepared for the cooking portion and were joined by three women from Norway. The chef was personable, patient, funny, and make the entire experience something that I'd do again anytime I am in Beijing. Thanks again!
This cooking class was truly worth it. From start to finish it was informative and interactive. Our instructors were pleasant and attentive to every detail. The market tour was to a lovely market nearby to buy the ingredients for the meal we were cooking. A worthwhile addition to our Beijing experience. A tour not to be missed.
Highly Recommend! I had the most delightful and instructive experience with Chef Zhou Chao and was lucky enough to be the only student in class. He is knowledgable, skilled, charming and an excellent teacher. After a detailed description of the differences between the wine, soy sauces and vinegars we would be using, we headed off to a gigantic indoor market to buy vegetables, tofu and meat for our menu.
I loved discovering many new-to-me fruits and veggies at the market and Chef Zhou was most patient in identifying anything I pointed out. What looked like zucchini, turned out to be young loofah, which when older turn into those bath scrubbers!
Back at his spacious kitchen, he demonstrated how a Chinese cleaver could take the place of several different knives, by smashing garlic, julienning vegetables or scoring and slicing meat. Even though I am an accomplished cook, this part of the class was a gem!
After preparing all our ingredients, we stood side by side at his range to cook the dishes in our woks. I learned so much through this arrangement and could match my efforts to his: from swirling the oil to flipping the food in the wok instead of of stirring it around. He explained how his method would do a better job of cooking each piece properly.
Then, before sitting down to a delicious lunch, we compared tastes of his version of Mapo Tofu, Gong bao chicken and dry stir fried green beans to mine. I learned so much and will definitely make these dishes at home now. A wonderful class with a great teacher!
Wish I could rate this tour 5 stars!!! This was one of the highlights of my trip to Beijing. My travel buddy and I arrived to find that we were the only two people in the cooking class that day, so we basically had a private cooking class all to ourselves! Our class started with a trip to the local market in the hutongs. This was surprisingly very enjoyable as our tour leader walked us through all the key fruits, veg and spices that are important to Chinese cooking. Upon returning to the kitchen, we then cooked a Szechuan feast of Gang Bai chicken, Stir-fried green beans, Ma Pao Tofu and Beer duck. Our tour guide was an experienced chef and he was incredibly patient with us as he walked us through every step of the cooking process. The food was AMAZING! I have since cooked the recipes again since returning home to Australia using the take home recipe cards as a guide! and the food was great and I certainly impressed my family with my efforts. All up, the tour guide was incredibly professional and easy to get along with and the experience was a whole lot of fun. Highly recommended!
This was an amazing cooking class, they are not messing around giving you an extremely immersive and intense cooking experience. Delicious and way too much food but in a great way :.