- Half-day Kona Gold Coast tour
- Learn about the Big Island's tropical plants and wildlife at the Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary
- Sample world-famous Kona coffee at Mountain Thunder Coffee Farm
- Explore the wildlife and admire the beautiful ocean views at Kaloko Honokohau National Historical Park
- Small-group tour with no more than 13 passengers ensures a personalized experience with your expert guide
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
The abundance of tropical plants and exotic birds at the Kona Cloud Forest is truly a sight to see. And it's fascinating to learn how the famous Hawaiian coffee is grown and picked by hand. Don't miss trying it! Be sure to dress in layers for this off-the-beaten-path excursion.
What You Can Expect
Next, head to the Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary, with an elevation of 3,000 feet (914 meters) above sea level. Due to its high elevation, the sanctuary abounds with unique tropical plants. See more than 100 varieties of bamboo and walk under the towering tree ferns, some of which are 30 feet (9 meters) tall!. Your ranger-trained guide will point out the many endemic and exotic birds, including the Hawaiian Hawk and the Honey Creeper. Admire the plethora of colorful, non-indigenous plants that create a feast for the eyes.
After exploring the sanctuary, visit the award-winning Mountain Thunder Coffee Farm. Tour the coffee mill and taste one of the most famous coffees in the world, grown on the volcanic slopes of Kona. Kona farmers cultivate their crops with meticulous care; all planting and picking are done by hand.
Then enjoy a scenic coastal drive to Kaloko Honokohau National Historical Park. Take a short hike and see the ancient heiau (sacred sites), burial caves and petroglyphs carved by native Hawaiians. Stroll to the shore, where ancient Hawaiians stored their stock of fish in traps and ponds. On the coast, keep your eyes open for Hawaiian green sea turtles, rare Hawaiian monk seals, dolphins and whales.