- Day trip to Newport, Rhode Island, including mansions and narrated tour, from Boston
- Take a self-guided tour of The Breakers mansion and capture photos at the Cliff Walk
- See major Newport sights including St Mary's Parish, Fort Adams and the Naval War College during your 1-hr narrated mini-coach tour of Newport
- Enjoy 3.5 hours of free time to discover Newport on your own
- Hotel pickup and drop-off, snack, guidebook and discount offer card included
- Small-group tour limited to 14 people to ensure more personalized attention from your guide
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Guests at The Breakers will receive 10% off at the gift shop when they show their discount card!
What You Can Expect
Arrive at The Breakers, the elegant summer home of Cornelius Vanderbilt II and his family, to explore for 2-hours. Tour the remarkable mansion, which covers a full acre of the 13-acre (5.2-hectare) oceanfront estate. It's one of many local mansions that served as getaways for America's rich and famous during the 20th century. During this time, you may take part in a 1.5-hour self-guided audio tour (available in 9 languages). Directly behind The Breakers, take in gorgeous ocean views at the Newport Cliff Walk for great photo opportunities.
After, embark on a 1-hour narrated city tour of Newport sights. See St Mary's Parish, where President John F Kennedy wed Jacqueline Bouvier in 1953. Drive by Touro Synagogue, the oldest synagogue in the US, and see Fort Adams and the Naval War College. Learn why Newport is considered a sailing mecca and admire lovely waterfront vistas from Ocean Drive.
Finish your guided city tour at the Newport Visitors Center, where you can plan out your 3.5 hours of free time. Public transportation makes it easy to get around the city from this location. Use your free time to visit another Newport mansion of your choice, you may choose to see the International Tennis Hall of Fame (at a discounted price) orr take a lunchtime cruise, dine on the oceanfront and browse the shops on the city's boardwalk (all at own expense). Take advantage of the guidebook and discount card included with your tour during your free time in Newport.
In the late afternoon, meet back at the Newport Visitors Center for the drive back to Boston. End your 10-hour tour with drop-off at your Boston hotel.
Tour guide was wonderful
Newport is a beautiful place and has got a lot to offer. The trip was at the end of october, so we were very lucky with the weather. It was a perfect day. Lovely company and the guiding was very good. I came from Germany, so that excursion packed all the charm of New England in a day. Thank you very much!