- Day trip from Boston to Newport, Rhode Island
- Take in views of historic mansions, glamorous yachts and secluded coves along Ocean Drive
- See why they call this famous New England summer resort city the 'Sailing Capital of the World'
- Tour The Breakers and Marble House -- Newport's grandest mansions and both National Historic Landmarks
- Hear stories about the rise of the famous Vanderbilt family
- Stroll along Newport's beautiful waterfront for shopping and lunch on your own
- Learn all about Newport's history, colonial heritage and architecture from your informative guide
What You Can Expect
After pickup from your Boston hotel, sit back and relax on the 1.5-hour drive south to Newport, Rhode Island. When you arrive, you'll see why this fabulous New England resort city is nicknamed the 'Sailing Capital of the World.'
Learn about the city's colonial heritage on your scenic drive along Ocean Drive (10-Mile Drive), affording views of historic mansions, beaches and secluded coves. This epic stretch of road is lined with jaw-dropping million-dollar mansions that were once the 19th-century houses of the New York elite, who fled the big city during the summer to Rhode Island. These mega-mansions played a role in transforming Newport’s coast from a quiet summer colony of quaint cottages to a legendary resort town brimming with opulent estates.
Your first stop is The Breakers, the former home of the Vanderbilt family and a US National Historic Landmark. As you'll learn on your walking tour, this is the grandest of Newport's summer 'cottages,' and was a symbol of the family's social and financial reputation at turn of the century.
Next, enjoy free time to stroll along Newport's beautifully restored waterfront. Spend time shopping and dining on your own, and enjoy views of the harbor dotted with glamorous private yachts, modern racing sailboats and Newport's fishing fleet and ships from around the world.
In the afternoon, you'll visit a second mansion, Marble House, another home of the Vanderbilt family and a US National Historic Landmark. Take a guided walking tour to fully appreciate the grandiose of this majestic piece of property; the interior of this Gilded Age mansion is a sight to be seen.
After your tour, enjoy more views of Newport's mansions and beaches from afar on your return journey along Ocean Drive back to Boston.
This tour is seasonal and only operates from June to October.
absolutely wonderful, would highly recommend it, especially on a sunny day!
Excellent trip wonderful guide in Mark very knowledgeable and seemed to really enjoy showing us around went out of his way to explain everything to us and nothing was a problem to him. Tell him well done.