- Feel the rush of white water rafting on this half-day tour from Cairns
- 2-hours rafting through Barron Gorge National Park
- Safety equipment including spray jackets, helmets and life jackets
- Rapids are graded to 3, perfect for beginners
- English-speaking informative and enthusiastic river guides
- Hotel pick up and drop off from centrally located Cairns and Northern Beaches hotels
What You Can Expect
This heart thumping ride spears through The Barron Gorge National Park and the World Heritage-listed Wet Tropics. In the calmer sections you will get to enjoy the ethereal beauty of the worlds oldest rainforest and waterfalls from a unique waterline perspective. During the day you will also discover why the Barron's rapids have names such as 'Rooster Tail', 'Cheese Churn' and 'Hells Gate'.
All you need to bring is lace-up shoes (that WILL get wet), swimming costume and towel (you will need to have your swimming costume already on when you are picked up), a spare change of clothes and don't forget the 15+ sunscreen. You will be provided with safety equipment, including life jacket, helmet and spray jacket, as well as light refreshments after the trip while viewing the day's photos.
Australian Whitewater Rafting Grading System.
Grades do vary when water levels vary. As a generalization grades tend to go higher as water levels increases because of the steep nature of river gradients in this country. These grades are referred to as the NORMAL grade. Below are the general characteristics of the six grades of whitewater.
The Barron Gorge is graded rapids up to 3.
RAPID GRADE (1) Rapids are small regular waves.
RAPID GRADE (2) Rapids with regular medium sized waves (less than 1 meter) RAPID GRADE (3) Rapids with reasonable size waves (1-2 meters) with a need to hold on at times.