- Full-day Cappadocia tour to Ihlara Valley with an expert local guide
- Explore Derinkuyu Underground City – the deepest ancient dwelling in the region
- Discover Selime Monastery and wander around its secret passageways
- Head to the cave village of Yaprakhisar and see where scenes from the Star Wars movies were filmed
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from your Göreme or Ürgüp hotel
What You Can Expect
Near Derinkuyu is Ihlara Valley – a 10-mile (16km) gorge that was formed thousands of years ago from a volcanic eruption. The valley is a popular route for hikers who come to be at one with nature and see its rock-carved churches scattered along its path. Rather than walking the full length of the gorge, enjoy its beauty from the comfort of your coach as you follow it along Melendiz River. Stop for lunch on the way and relax before your tour continues.
At the northern edge of the gorge is Selime Monastery, so stop here to explore. This fascinating complex was carved into the rock face by monks in the 13th century and comprises a church, kitchen and stables with feeding troughs. Wander around the secret passageways and peer out of its open ‘tunnel’ windows for panoramic views over the valley.
Before returning to your hotel, enjoy a final stop at the cave village of Yaprakhisar, nested into the Ihlara Valley canyon, to see the legendary Yaprakhisar panorama. Several scenes from the Star Wars movies were filmed here and the viewpoint boasts unforgettable views of the cave village, Selime Monastery and countless fairy chimneys.