- Private tour of Kalakshetra in Chennai
- Explore a cultural academy dedicated to the preservation of Indian art with your expert English-speaking guide
- Discover India's incredible aptitude for fine art, music, dance and theater on visits to several departments
- Admire the students’ work displayed in arts and crafts exhibitions and dance performances
- Dine on a traditional lunch of Indian specialties in a local popular restaurant
- Enjoy round-trip transport by private, air-conditioned vehicle
What You Can Expect
When you arrive at the school, follow your guide on a walk around the tranquil, tree-shaded campus. Learn about the history of the academy, which was founded in 1936 by the renowned dancer and choreographer Rukmini Devi Arundale and her husband. Your guide takes you through the Rukmini Devi College of Fine Arts while explaining the classes offered and the tradition of gurukul — meaning students live in close proximity to their gurus or teachers. The academy teaches students of all ages and castes to study and develop their talent in dance, music, theater and fine arts.
Your guide takes you to the Craft and Education Research Center where you might see a traditional Bharata Natyam dance performance and view student exhibitions of arts and crafts. Then admire the collection of paintings, sculptures and fabrics in the Rukmini Devi Museum.