- Private cultural tour of Mahabalipuram and Dakshinachitra from Chennai
- See traditional customs first-hand at the preserved Dravidian village of Dakshinachitra
- Browse local workshops and see artisans crafting pottery, weaving silk and making baskets
- Enjoy an authentic Indian lunch
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage-listed Mahabalipuram to explore its rock-cut cave temples and structures
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle and hotel pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
See traditional Indian homes, explore the open-air museum, and visit the artisan workshops to learn about the Dravidian crafts of several regions in South India including Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh – a great activity for kids. Here, you may see traditional theater performances as well as local craftsmen making pottery and baskets, weaving silk and building puppets.
Then, drive approximately 14.5 miles (23.3 km) to Mahabalipuram, or what is now called Mamallapuram. This UNESCO World Heritage-listed city is full of rock-cut monuments built between the 7th and 9th centuries. These structures, most of which were built to honor Hindu gods, are some of the oldest existing examples of Dravidian architecture.
With your guide, visit several cave temples and sculpted reliefs including Five Rathas, Arjuna Dhabas, Krishna Mandap, Krishna Butterball and Shore Temple. Your guide will point out the Buddhist elements of these impressive structures and explain the historical significance of the sites you pass.
In between sightseeing, enjoy an authentic Indian lunch at a nearby restaurant in Mahabalipuram. After your full-day tour, you’ll be driven back to your Chennai hotel in the evening.
I enjoyed the visit a lot and specially that the guide was so expert and he gave me lots of information about the place. It was a well organised journey to that must see place.
Very nice en compete tour! Very nice and friendly guide! Nice restaurant, no problems, thank you!