Book before September 30, 2014, and save up to 13% on the recommended retail rate
- Private tour of Kanchipuram, ‘The City of Thousand Temples,’ from Chennai
- Visit several Hindu temples, including Sri Ekambareswarar Temple, Kailasanathar Temple and Varadaraja Perumal Temple, with your private English-speaking guide
- Learn about the importance of Hinduism and the goddess Shiva in India
- Discover one of India's most lucrative and valuable products during a silk-weaving demonstration
- Enjoy a local Indian lunch
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle and hotel pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
With your guide, visit several temples and learn about the importance of the Hindu goddess Shiva. Explore Sri Ekambareswarar Temple, the city’s largest temple and one of the five major Shiva temples that each represents a natural element. Built around 600, this temple symbolizes Earth.
Then, visit Kailasanathar Temple, the oldest temple in Kanchipuram, built in the early 8th century. Explore this sandstone compound and admire the fascinating carvings, including half-animal deities that were popular during the period of early Dravidian architecture.
Next, head to Varadaraja Perumal Temple, one of the Divya Desams -- the 108 Vishnu temples believed to have been visited by the 12 poet saints, or alwars. Built in 1053, this astounding temple complex contains 32 shrines and 389 pillared halls.
After spending 30-45 minutes at each temple, stop by the nearby silk shop -- Kanchipuram is famous for its hand-woven silk sarees – to see a silk-weaving demonstration. Watch local artisans take pure mulberry silk of various dazzling colors and create beautiful sarees embellished with fine gold thread.
In between sightseeing, you’ll enjoy an authentic Indian lunch in Kanchipuram at a restaurant carefully chosen by your guide. After your enlightening full-day tour, you’ll be taken back to your Chennai hotel.